Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mwpowelllde
Journeyman III

Need a recommended thermal compound pattern

Hello,

I am building a Ryzan Threadripper 2950X system. Parts in hand, just need to know the thermal compound pattern for the following:

Arctic MX-4 thermal compound

bequiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4

If you please. I've seen different patterns from different people ranging from poorly drawn lines along the length of the CPU by the bequiet! recommended installation, to 5 dots, and on from there.

But can anyone please attach a picture, some illustration, or a recommended pattern?

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies

Personally since your cooler has a flat bottom and not exposed heatpipes, I'd spread a THIN COAT of TIM over the whole CPU using a credit card (or the spreader which came with the MX-4) and a SMALL BLOB about the size of an pea in the center of the heatsink itself to counteract any concavity it might have. Ideally you want to have a coat just thick enough to not see the engravings on the CPU die. This is the method I used myself.

GamersNexus did a test when Threadripper was released of 7 different application methods, and the best performer was just a big heavy blob in the center, which pretty much does the same thing that manually spreading it out does, doesn't leave any gaps. AMD coolers use high mounting pressure so any excess will be squeezed out, and this is where manually spreading a thin coat comes in handy, lower chance of excess being squeezed out the sides.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3013-amd-threadripper-thermalpaste-application-methods-benchmarked

Appreciate the feedback. I may do this approach after all, but the only critique I've heard about that is the risk for creating air pockets, which not only defeats the purpose of adequate coverage, but then exposes the CPU to heat damage. However, duly noted, I appreciate it, thanks.

0 Likes