I have an RX 580 and have been attempting to get it to work with my Acer 34" ultrawide, to no avail. I am and have been using one of Dell's similarly sized U3415W monitors with no issues. However, whenever I try to plug in the Acer it will work fine for a few seconds, then it will flicker, go black, then flicker and lose signal completely (the monitor goes around looking for a source before it says "No Signal" and goes to sleep). After about 30 seconds or so go by, everything flickers again, the picture turns back on for about 30 seconds or so, and the cycle starts over.
I have a separate system that's more focused towards gaming that I've been using the Acer with and have never had any issues. This system, with the RX 580, is more of a workstation and having a dual monitor setup (even with a UW already) has become very appealing given my work/workload lately so I was hoping I could get these suckers set up side-by-side.
I was trying to get it going for a good few hours this morning and then I hit the "Eyefinity" button in the AMD Radeon Software Utility (I think it's call Adrenalin? So I'm just going to call it that) and everything actually worked without a hitch for a few hours. But then I took a break, came back, both monitors had gone to sleep and the Acer went back to its neverending cycle while the Dell ran along fine. I haven't been able to get the Acer to work again since. And everything I've been doing while trying to get the Acer working (and for the few hours when it was working) has not been particularly demanding of GPU resources (multiple instances of Word and Excel, Outlook, Windows Mail, probably a handful of web tabs on Edge, Teams, and then GoToMyPC, which connects to a pretty hungry dual monitor workstation at my non-COVID office - I wouldn't assume GoToMyPC would matter much considering this PC is just serving as a bridge, but the RX 580 does get pretty hot and bothered when I'm on it for whatever reason).
I've tried everything I can think of:
1. The only differences between the Acer and Dell monitors that jump out at me are that the Acer has FreeSync and a higher refresh rate (75MHz) while the Dell does not have FreeSync and a lower (60 MHz) refresh rate. There is a 'switch' to turn off FreeSync in the Adrenalin Utility, so I attempted to turn it off, but it wouldn't allow me to do so.
2. I tried unplugging the Dell and just running the Acer. (Now that I think of it, I did not unplug the USB A to B cable connected to the Dell - allows for the use of the Dell's USB ports - when I did that).
3. I swapped cables out. I tried HDMI, DP, and Mini-DP, all of which I tested and confirmed as working on my other system.
4. I uninstalled and reinstalled display drivers.
And so that brings me to here. If any of you bright people out there have any suggestions, please help a guy out.
- Make: Acer
- Model: XR (34" UW Monitor)
- Make: AMD
- Model: Ryzen 7 3700X
- Make: AMD
- Model: RX 580 (Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580)
- Make: Asus
- Model: ROG Strix B550-E
- Make: NZXT (I believe; it comes with NZXT's H1 case)
- Model: 650W SFX-L 80 Plus Gold
- Make: G.SKILL
- Model: TridentZ Series / 16GB (2 x 8GB) / DDR4 3600
- BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0608, 6/15/20
- OS: Windows 10 / 10.0.19041
- GPU: Adrenalin 20.8.2