Computer crashes every single time I install the Radeon software with 5600XT

Specs:

Mortar Max b450M

Ryzen 5 3600

Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5600 XT

G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200

Crucial mx500 m.2 1TB

EVGA 600W GQ Power Supply

I've only just built this computer and I had a few issues with the AMD GPU driver initially where the computer would freeze, restart and then freeze again on the Windows login screen or just after I logged in.  I booted in safe mode, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it again using the auto detect version of Radeon Software to install the currently recommended 20.4.2 version and all was well for 2 days.  Ran Outer Worlds, Civ 6, Bioshock all fine.

This evening, I was playing Hellblade and about 20 minutes in the game froze and the computer auto restarted.  The original issue returned as my computer cycled through crashing on login and restarting itself.  I uninstalled the driver and tried reinstalling it again.  Twice.  I used the AMD cleanup utility beforehand and made sure the c:/AMD folder was empty.  Same issue except this time it crashed before I could even click restart after the install.  Used DDU + AMD cleanup utility in safe mode to wipe all traces of driver.  Internet disabled.  Firewall disabled.  Installed Radeon Software version 20.4.2.  Clicked restart computer upon completion of installation.  Crashed on Windows login.  Booted safe mode, uninstalled driver/AMD software yet again, no crashes.

What do I do?  I'm pretty close to returning this card and buying an Nvidia instead.

2 Replies
ouro
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with my AMD Radeon™ HD 8670M on Windows 2004. 
I don't think that is related to new cards but also old ones so seems related to the new version of Windows too.

0 Likes
friyayay
Adept II

i have the same issue omg. I know that it is driver related because, technically you can still connect your gpu through monitor albeit using windows basic display driver. Have you found any updates or solutions yet?

0 Likes