cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Gamers Nexus has an article up on the new A520 chipset released by AMD.

AMD A520 Chipset Specs Comparison vs. B550, A320, X570, & More | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Ha... 

AMD Chipsets As of Now

If you’d forgotten, AMD originally launched Ryzen with A320, X300, and A/B300 at the low-end. The last 3 might not sound familiar, because they basically stopped getting marketed: You can technically run Ryzen CPUs without a chipset, and the X300 part was targeted toward boards that were intended to be so small that there was no space for a separate chipset component.

The A320 chipset was among the cheapest available to DIY users and has persisted unreplaced until now. You can expect A520 on low-end motherboards, particularly those in the sub-$100 range. These parts will be available through motherboard manufacturers immediately, both to DIY and to OEM markets.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Wanted to tack this on here, from the description of the ASRock A520M-ITX/AC.

Assuming your case can fit it, it would make that Mini-ITX board capable of driving a GPU of the power of a 5700XT or 2070 Super without bottleneck, and the second x8 slot could be used for a NVMe drive as the onboard M.2 slot is keyed for WiFi.

So when they say these don't overclock does that also mean no PBO or XMP? Or is it just no manual OC? 

0 Likes

From what I understand, that is to say I haven't read anything to the contrary yet but we should shortly as A520 motherboards start getting reviewed, it's the lower end power delivery systems, cooling implementations, and lower component quality due to being a budget model that are going to prevent OCing. I can't see PBO being enabled on any of the boards though.

Looks like Gigabyte has enabled BCLK control on their A520 motherboards and enabled overclocking

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-a520-unauthorized-ryzen-overclocking-on-a-really-tight-budget