AnsweredAssumed Answered

20.5.1 HWS is still the most stable version for me.

Question asked by rawintellect on Aug 19, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 31, 2020 by dsrevan22

No question here. Just a statement. 20.5.1 HWS is incredibly stable for me. I can run Planet Coaster all day long. No crashes to desktop. No BSODs. It performs the way NVIDEA drivers do on my laptop. AKA it works! Set it and forget it. As it should be.

20.8.1 and 20.8.2 are absolutely terrible. BSODs continuously. I've honestly never seen worse from AMD than these two versions. It was so bad it corrupted my system. I do a Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth after each BSOD. As well as a sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f as you should.

However after so many crashes with these two drivers my RestoreHealth command didn't even work. Sfc /scannow still found corrupt files and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth found errors in the component store. I manually pointed to the sources folder and the install.esd file to force a repair of the component store and this DID fix it as well as sfc /scannow not finding any errors anymore.

But I like to keep my system tip top and I felt I should do an "in place upgrade" to really make sure all was well. That is, I put in the installation USB drive and clicked "setup" and kept all my files and apps. Essentially deleting the OS and reinstalling it. I then tested 20.8.1 and 20.8.2 again. Again BSODs and crashes. After repairing windows again I installed 20.5.1 HWS. Not a single issue since. Nothing. Smooth as silk. Planet Coaster performs the same as it does on my gaming Lenovo Legion 5 laptop (that has a RTX 2070 installed). Perfectly.

If AMD could just finally bring HAGS (HWS) to the forefront and add enhanced sync I'm sure this will be a winning combination. Whatever direction you're headed in with 20.8.1 and 20.8.2 is the wrong one.

Just my feedback. I'm sure many will disagree but this has been my honest experience. 

Outcomes