sxq
Journeyman III

I need R7 4800H GPU driver for Linux

Ubuntu 20.04 does not has that driver!!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Edward001
Journeyman III

It has been a log time since R7 producted, and why the linux driver for R7 4800H do not emerge? This is a bit unreasonable.

@sxq wrote:

Ubuntu 20.04 does not has that driver!!

bridgman
Staff

We don't officially support APUs via the packaged drivers, but we use the same driver package for all current GPUs so if you download the driver for any recent dGPU you should get something that works on your APU.

That said, I was also a bit surprised that you don't already have in-box support in 20.04.1, but it appears that we enabled it in kernel 5.5 while IIRC 20.04.1 uses kernel 5.4.

The most straightforward solution would probably be to update your kernel to something like 5.9 stable, or at least 5.6. Not sure if you will also need to update Mesa but if so then the Oibaf packages should work well.

So what we should do, just installing the drive of vega64? I'm currently using debian with 5.7 kernal, also 4800H

0 Likes

Yes, although if you are running a 5.7 kernel (rather than the 5.4 kernel that 20.04.1 was using) the driver package probably will not install. We will need to update the driver to work with the 5.8 kernel that was scheduled for 20.04.2 next month but that has not yet happened.

An easier thing to try first would be just installing the non-free firmware to pick up the microcode images that the hardware requires to run.

0 Likes