cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

westindieman
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 termperature 95c

I'm a bit concerned about these termeratures, should I be?

0 Likes
13 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Yes.

95C is the processors throttling temperature.

While the processor should be fine it's going to badly effect your performance.

You probably need to reseat your CPU cooler applying new thermal paste.

Also make sure you have enough input and output fans for the case to ensure you have sufficient air flow.

Thanks for your help. I was considering changing the cooler but will try reseating first. My case temps are about 30-40 so I think thats fine?

0 Likes

You ideally want the case temp to be as close to ambient room temperature as you can get.

My case temperature is 21C (advantages of living in a cold country)

What sort of ambient room temperatures do you have?

0 Likes

We're getting about 25-30 on average in house at the moment.

0 Likes

Maybe some rom for improvement with the case fans then since temperature transfer depends on temperature difference.

I would just go with reseating the CPU fan for now and see how that goes.

You can always look into more case fans later.

Do you have the bundled AMD CPU Cooler that came with your processor, the AMD Stealth CPU Cooler?

Those temps indicates that the CPU Cooler may not be installed correctly or not making good contact with the processor.

If 95C was only while during Idle or light loads than it seems like the CPU cooler is not working the way it should. The AMD Stealth is not a very powerful CPU Cooler but should be adequate to keep the processor cooler than 95C while under light to moderate heavy loads.

Make sure the Cooler is making good contact and is evenly installed on the processor. Plus it has a tight fit with very little wiggling. The fan is running at maximum when it goes above 70 or higher and there is good air flow in the computer case.

To rule out poor computer case air flow I would remove the side panel where the CPU Cooler is located on the computer case and see if temperatures are lower. Maybe even put a small fan blowing air directly inside the computer case. If temperatures stay below 95c then it probably indicate poor Air Circulation.

0 Likes
westindieman
Adept I

I am using the cooler that came with the CPU and have tightened the fan screws a bit more and i'm getting about 50-60c idle and 75c max under load. Its seems this is more natural for this processor and fan after reading up. Ideally I would like to try to lower though so considering swapping to the spare zalman cnps5x I took off my previous CPU. Just fearing  upsetting the current seating to get the same or worse results. Thanks

Just noticed that fan was for AM3 processors so may not be suitable, mind you it was in supply before AM4 existed. 

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi westindieman,

Ryzen 3000 series processors run a little hotter than expected and you will see a temperature spike anywhere from 40-60 degrees on even idle. This may seem abnormal but I assure you that all users with the 3000 series processors are facing the same issue. For the time being if you want to control the temperatures manually, you can use the power saver mode in windows power and sleep setting. Make sure the Processor Power Management Min is set to 5% and Max is set to 99%. This will forcefully down clock your processor to 2.2Ghz and keep your temps stable at 36-42 degreesNote however that this will only allow your processor to boost 100Mhz lesser than its advertised base clock! Please turn it back to Balanced or High Performance mode when running heaving CPU intensive tasks for proper performance. 

AMD quotes

"The maximum temperature allowed by stock Zen 2 systems is 95ºC. The system will limit its boost speed to stay under the temperature limit.

It is fine to see jumps on the temperature of around 10ºC when idling. This is normal.

It is also possible that you see high temperatures under load. Up to a limit, this is normally okay due to how Ryzen measures temperature.

Zen 2's manufacturing process has quite a high density. This means that you can see load temperatures somewhat higher than what you are used to. This is normal."

(Highly recommended) If you still are looking for a well-rounded solution, I suggest undervolting the processor. This would allow the temperatures to come down a little (the variation/spike would still happen) but at the cost of your boost frequency which would drop a couple of 100Mhz on single core tasks. If you want a detailed guide, dm me. (this would also better your benchmark results)

Hope this helps.

Thanks buddy. I mainly use my desktop for gaming and any other computing is done on my chromebook so the desktop will aways be set to high performance. I'm experimenting with adjusted clock speed and lowered voltage at the moment.

0 Likes

Brilliant! I've got a bunch of overclocking tests and results if you'd like to have a look at it. It's basically an excel with the entire testing procedure and results. You might be able to get a grasp of what numbers you can potentially get. 

Results - Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. 

0 Likes

Thats great! That will save me loads of time as I was restarting my computer each time due issues with the Ryzen program (I was always getting crashes or high temps on the test so maybe I setting in the wrong places). Are though average temps btw?

0 Likes

The temps recorded are the max temps under 100% load.

0 Likes

Thanks and wow! I cant get near those temps.

0 Likes