cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

jackseas
Adept I

Rendering the Blender Barbershop example scene is a mess using GPU Compute & Radeon 570 Series GPU

Hey,

Rendering the Blender Barbershop example scene is a mess using GPU Compute & Radeon 570 Series GPU. My question is in two parts.

HW:

32GB DDR4 RAM

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 GPU

MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB DDR5 RAM

SW:

Window 10 Build 2004 with current patching

Radeon Driver & Software: 20.4.2

Blender 2.83.4

ProRender 2.4 (20200511)

Scene:

bf-blender - Revision 62467: /trunk/lib/benchmarks/cycles/barbershop_interior 

It comes in CPU version & GPU version however, it doesn't state which type of GPU is applicable. CUDA calls or openCL calls.

With the GPU version of the scene:

a) The Blender Barbershop Example Scene renders fine using Cycles CPU compute although there are some fireflies.

b) The Cycles GPU Compute renders with excessive firefly and vertical bars.

c) If I change from Cycles to the ProRenderer, Blender hangs.

With the CPU version of the scene:

a) The Blender Barbershop Example Scene renders fine using Cycles CPU compute although there are some fireflies.

b) The Cycles GPU Compute renders with excessive firefly and vertical bars.

c) If I change from Cycles to the ProRenderer, Blender hangs.

Questions:

a) So as a Blender noob using a GPU for the 1st time (I don't play video games yet on this PC) am I wrong to at least expect the Cycles GPU Compute, for both scenes, to render clean and faster using the MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU?

b) Is there an expectation that I have to edit the material in such a scene as the Barbershop scene after I change the renderer to the ProRenderer for the scene to render using this Radeon RX 570 video card, ProRenderer 2.4, & Blender 2.83.4?

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
irz
Adept II

Mac OS 10.15.6

Blender 2.9 Beta + RPR 2.4.40 Beta

5700 XT

Couldn't render this scene with GPU. The system has been freeze while try rendering after objects synchronization. Memory leaking(?) I don't know. Please, AMD, investigate this problem.

jackseas
Adept I

Well, I could of swore I read somewhere that RPR auto converts Cycles  and Eevee shaders materiels 'automagically' but I must of read wrong.

I guess I will go though the documentation and learn how to properly convert it all to RPR shader materials format.

It would be nice is Blender & RPR integrated this USD standard 3D Interchange format, including a standard shader material exchange format that the render engines knew how to convert to their native formats for the current chosen render engine programmatically.

0 Likes