I have XFX Vega 56 installed on Dell OEM B65 motherboard with i5-2500 CPU.
In Windows, after installing any Radeon driver, GPU usage spikes between 0 to 100% according to Task Manager, causing mouse freezes every 2 seconds, then driver crash and recover, and sometimes just black screen, rendering the OS unusable. This happens both on idle and load. According to Task Manager, both Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager takes 100% of GPU resources.
However, my system works perfectly on Pop OS 20.04 with open-sourced AMD driver for Linux, passing all OpenGL and Vulkan stress test. There is no freezing or driver crash at all in Linux. Radeon Profiler shows Vega 56 using 150W of power while flexing its muscle.
Troubleshooting tried so far:
- Booted into Linux with open-sourced AMD GPU driver and works perfectly fine
- Reinstall Widows 10 (version 2004)
- With Microsoft Basic Display Driver, no freezing or crash or black screen
- 5 versions of drivers tested, including the latest Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.7.2
- Performed all windows update
- Installed latest BIOS driver (is an old Dell OEM board from 2012, so latest BIOS driver was from 2018)
- Tested this GPU in another machine with X470 board running R9-3950X and works perfectly fine
- i5-2500 on B65 Dell OEM motherboard (PC model: Dell Optiplex 390)
- 2 x 4GB DDR3-1333
- 530W PSU Thermaltake Smart SE
- XFX Vega 56 8GB HMB on PCI-E Gen.2 slot (no Gen.3 on Sandy Bridge)
Is it just that AMD dropped GPU driver support for old platforms altogether? If Vega 56 works with open-source AMD driver on Linux, then the problem should be isolated to incompatibility between Vega 56, B65 platform, and Windows 10 Adrenaline driver. Any thoughts or helps on this issue are welcomed. Sorry for my wall of text.