gekonpc

GTX 960 has double the FPS of RX 5700XT in Minecraft

Discussion created by gekonpc on Jul 29, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2020 by painmaker

i've had an issue of low and stuttering FPS in minecraft for years now at first i thought it was because i had Ryzen 5 2600 which isn't exactly singlecore beast which minecraft likes but then i started seeing in forums that it's because Minecraft uses OpenGL which AMD GPUs don't like.. i didn't believe this at first because how can a blocky pixelated game run like SH*T on a (at first RX 590) RX 5700XT i was searching and searching and found nothing some fixes were working but only for like 5FPS gain which is nothing really.. so i asked my friend if i can borrow his old GTX 960 and i was blown away it got nearly TWICE the amount of FPS (and MUCH smoother) than with my RX 5700XT

i did 2 tests one with Vanilla Minecraft (no mods) and one with mods both on version 1.16.1 (latest as of writing)

the ones where i am standing on a RED block are done in vanilla and the ones where i am standing on a GREEN block are done on modded

both have same settings and in both i rendered all the chunks by looking around first and then capturing the FPS

you can clearly see that an old mini single-fan GTX 960 is beating a new RX 5700XT (Sapphire Pulse)

which is very disappointing as i had many issues with the card, most of them got fixed but the feeling of a bad purchase never goes away and with this i don't even think it can be fixed because it's like 6 years since this started happening on AMD cards 

Outcomes