AnsweredAssumed Answered

1800X Running on only one core

Question asked by thewintersnow on Jul 28, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2020 by elstaci

I have had nothing but woe with my 1800x since a little before last Christmas.  After an automatic Windows 10 update my system would lock up and would need a hard reset to get working again.  It would even lock up when rebooting.  Windows error logs indicated a critical error of power management to all 16 threads.  Eventually it locked up during the BIOS splash screen.  I couldn't update the BIOS from the UEFI as it would lock up every time I tried.  Months later without a computer I used the manual flash method and installed the most recent BIOS version and it still didn't work.  I then tried the most recent BIOS FW which also didn't work (would lock up booting Windows).  Then I flashed a version before the second gen Ryzens were supported and it worked...sort of.

Once I got the BIOS FW that worked and was back online I noticed massive glitches in audio simply streaming music or watching youtube videos.  I flat out can't record music because the CPU goes instantly to 100% and stutters all over the place.  I didn't know why until now.  Playing games again I noticed a lower frame rate than I should be getting and that is when I noticed it.  Windows is only running on one core, two threads.  There is nothing in the BIOS that can enable or disable threads.  Ryzen Master is only showing one core and resetting to save changes results in the PC shutting down and not responding to the power button unless you do a hard reset.

I have gone through most of the solutions posted over the internet on how to fix disabled cores but to no avail.  The number of processors in advanced boot options is unchecked, the BIOS is all on default settings, Windows 10 System Config is all default and I have reset and shutdown more than once.  I am at a loss, if anyone can help get me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

My setup:

CPU: 1800x

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair Hero VI BIOS v7601

RAM: Corsair Dominator 32GB

SSD: EVO 960 256GB

Outcomes