cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

manspk
Journeyman III

Catalyst Installing wrong driver Firepro M5950

Hello, I am trying to Instal Firepro m5950 on Dell Precision M4600. When I am installing Firpro M5950 Windows 10 64bit driver. It is installing AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series. Even after several attempts, it is installing wrong. Please somebody help

0 Likes
2 Replies

When you installed the AMD driver and the wrong GPU is showing does your laptop still work correctly or are you having video issues?

This is the last AMD Driver for your Dell FirePro M5950 from 2016 from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/mobile-platforms/firepro-mobility-series/firepr... 

When you install AMD generic laptop driver, most of the time it won't show your exact GPU card but a family or series instead.  Why it is showing a Consumer GPU laptop card instead of a Professional Laptop card I have no idea.

But if you download Dell's own AMD Driver from Dell Support it should show the correct GPU Card FirePro M5950.

Went to Dell Support for your Laptop. There are no Windows 10 drivers. Only Windows 8 and earlier OSes. This indicates that probably your laptop may not be 100% compatible with Windows 10.

AMD generally mentions to use Windows 7 drivers for Windows 10. The last Windows 7 driver for your FirePro M5950 & Intel Graphic driver both are from 2013: Support for Precision M4600 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

You also have the last BIOS update from 2018 which should help with newer drivers and hardware:

For the AMD laptop driver to work your Windows must be fully updated via Windows update and all of your Intel Drivers must be the latest especially the Intel Graphics and CHIPSET drivers.

EDIT: You Intel Mobile Processor is not supported on Windows 10 according to Intel Compatibility Chart: Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10? 

You have a Sandy Bridge Mobile Processor:

So most likely you will have issues with your Intel Integrated Graphics and also AMD GPU card since your Intel isn't supported on a Windows 10 OS.

manspk
Journeyman III

Thank you for all the efforts you have done for solving this issue.

Yes after installing the wrong driver 6700M, the driver not working properly. The only driver working is from Dell and Windows 8 driver. Even that some is moved to again 6700M and have to install again. I had already updated the Bios and had also tried that driver from the AMD site that you linked. Maybe this laptop is not compatible with WIndows10.