cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

clapper015
Journeyman III

High idle temps Ryzen 7 2700x

I have very high temperatures for my CPU Ryzen 7 2700X. This is my CPU temp on idle (you can see the programs i am running). I just put some new coolingpaste on my CPU (Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut), but I still got high temperatures! My CPU goes to 95C-98C when i play heavy games like red dead redemtion 2. Can someone please help me find out what the problem is?

4 Replies

Are you using the CPU Cooler that came with your processor: Wraith Prism?

The temperatures you posted under heavy loads while playing games 95c -98C is that from Ryzen Master or some other monitoring software?

Your Maximum Operating Temperature of your Ryzen Processor is 85C. That means when the CPU temperature starts reaching or has reached and surpassed 85C the Processor will automatically start to throttle (lower frequecies thus power usage) until the Temperature is at or lower than 85C. Once the Temperature reaches a terminal temperature where the CPU might get damaged it will shut down the computer immediately to prevent damage.

Your processor has a high TDP Wattage of 105 watts so you need a powerful CPU Cooler to maintain the temperature below 85C.

So it is possible your CPU Cooler, if it is the Prism, is not install correctly or you have bad air flow inside your computer case or your ambient room temperature is quite warm or you have a dirty computer case.

Need more information on your Computer setup.

Hi elstaci,

Sorry for npt providing all the information you need. Yes, I am using the stock cooler that game with the Ryzen 7 2700x. Also i am using the Ryzen Master app to measure the temps for my CPU (as you can see on the picture). I am almost 100% sure i installed my cooler correctly (it does not wiggle). When was aware of my CPU temps i cleaned my pc completly. So a dirty computer case should not be it. Here is a Photo of my pc. 

you said '' Your processor has a high TDP Wattage of 105 watts so you need a powerful CPU Cooler to maintain the temperature below 85C.'' It would be weird of AMD to deliverd a stock cooler could which is not powerful enough to maintain the recommended temps.

pastedImage_2.png

I mentioned the TDP wattage since you didn't mention your CPU Cooler and might have been using a 3rd party CPU Cooler.

Yes the Prism is made of for a 105 Watt TDP processor.

I believe that the Prism has a tiny black switch on the case. One is for quiet running (low) and the other for gaming or heavy loads (high). If on low switch it to High and see if the temperatures become lower.

Are your temperatures lower with the Side panel removed and with or without, if possible, a small fan blowing inside the case?  If it is could indicate a Air Flow problem inside your computer case.

In BIOS disable PBO which automatically overclocks the CPU.

Also in Windows Power plan, try different plans to see if temperatures are lower on each Power plan.

I think the big question I have is: Is this a new installation? Or is it a one that ran right at one time and now does not?

Personally I don't use the AMD stock coolers with either of my Ryzen processors as under load they run very near their peak temperatures. I use a 212 evo that is very affordable but still outperforms the stock cooler by a mile. 

If this is a new installation and it has always run hot then you can have a couple possibilities. 

1. You just have a lemon of a CPU that will need to be exchanged or RMA'd back to AMD. 

2. You may actually have a bad cooler. It could have a fan that is not really running right. Or it could have a base plate that is not truly flush and level. That happens and has actually been reported a good bit on the stock coolers. 

If you bought this recently retail and can return it. I would get do so and get a new cpu and fan and see what you get.

If you have to go through the hassle of an RMA you might consider buying another cooler to avoid that process and end up with much better cooling in the end. Obviously it it still runs hot then it must be a bad CPU.

This all assumes you have good air flow in your case as already mentioned above.