cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD Ryzen 9 3950 x build trouble shooting

I'm having some issues with a new build. This is my first build and I have extinguished my capabilities and hoping someone can help me get this machine running. 

The problem is the computer keeps shutting down when I have windows 10 running. The computer has never crashed or shutdown in the BIOS. Its a bit random. Sometimes the computer runs for hours fault free and very quick and then suddenly shuts down.

I always get the windows dialogue box saying shutting down and it goes through the process. Sometimes an app or programme is stopping the computer shutdown and it gives me the usual warning.

Does that rule out short circuits? Since the computer is going through the normal shutdown protocol?

Here is the hardware list:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950 x

AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 

Corsair H150i Pro 360mm liquid cooling system

MSI MEG X570 Godlike Motherboard

Corsair MP600 M.2 Force 2TB SSD

WD Blue Sata SSD 2TB Storage

Seasonic Prime Gold 80+ 1,000 watt 

Cooler Master MC600P Case

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 4x16 GB

The BIOS has been updated and reset. There is no overclocking. The case has two fans on the top, one on the rear and three on the front. 

Here are the temperatures and voltages:

From the BIOS I waited 25 minutes 

CPU stabilised at 33 degree's c

Chipset stabilised at 43 degree's c

The DDR voltage is 1.2 steady and the CPU voltage is 1.466 - 1.468 volts

The Ram is at 2133 and the XMP profiles are disabled.

The BIOS is CSM and the Sata is AHCI

Everything is brand new except the GPU which I purchased from ebay. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

If windows is going through the full shutdown then problem isn't hardware related.

Most likely cause is Windows update.

Open up windows update settings and select advanced options.

Make sure the option to restart the computer as soon as possible to update is turned off.

If that doesn't solve the issue try right clicking on the start menu and select powershell.

Then type in

shutdown.exe -a

This will turn off any scheduled shutdowns (or tell you there isn't one)

Let us know how you get on.

0 Likes

No joy. Made the change and its still shutting down. The only thing which I can think is the GPU - I bought this as a refurbished device from ebay. Everything else is brand new. 

0 Likes

thelitlprince wrote:

No joy. Made the change and its still shutting down. The only thing which I can think is the GPU - I bought this as a refurbished device from ebay. Everything else is brand new. 

it's driver problems

0 Likes

Well ill say this - I do think its related to something graphics related. When I first fired everything up it worked perfectly until the Radeon pro drivers were installed. It works well through the windows vga drivers. Same thing has happened four times. But, strangely, on Bench mark my pc the GPU scored exceptionally well. It will work ok for a few hours no fault and then it wont even turn on. Im sending the GPU back today. Ill try a brand new card and see if that works. If not ill have to send it to a repair shop because I have no means to test parts individually. I have a few more things to try but then im stuck!

0 Likes

make sure the latest BIOS for you motherboard is installed too

0 Likes

Enable UEFI which will speed up the machine significantly. 

Enable the XMP for your RAM will also speed up the machine.

0 Likes

Tried both of those and no joy. Certainly seems a lot snappier tho. But now it seems to be shutting off much quicker - AT present I cant even get in to windows. It gets to password screen and I get about three letters in to password and it shuts down.

0 Likes