cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

JEDEC Publishes New DDR5 Standard

I saw this announcement and thought it might be of interest.
JEDEC Publishes New DDR5 Standard:
JEDEC Publishes New DDR5 Standard for Advancing Next-Generation High Performance Computing Systems |...
If you need the specification you can download it here for $369:

DDR5 SDRAM | JEDEC 

This article:
DDR5 memory spec is finally official but hold onto your DDR4 RAM modules | PC Gamer 

Seems to say it will be at least another year before it will be available on Desktop PC.

0 Likes
2 Replies

No rush to get it on desktop PCs, it's just not needed. I would go so far as saying that needing it on a Threadripper setup would be a stretch. Servers definitely, since DDR5 should bring the possibility of very large capacities per module which will really help a dual socket server packing 256C/512T.

With PCIe 5 and USB 4, both very much beneficial to desktops, as well as laptops and servers, ready to make an appearance, AMD doesn't want to make a socket for just one series of chips like Intel does since they spent all that time bashing them on it, and they decidedly do not want to lack support for those features when Intel implements them. If AMD had created a new desktop socket, AM4+, it'd let them get 2 generations of chips on the same board, -maybe- 3, but the way it is, they've dug their grave with AM4, they're going to have to ride it out.

0 Likes

I would happier if 10GBASE-T was provided but it needs 4 PCIe lanes. Less with faster lane speeds.

A few more lanes for dual M.2 slots

and enough lanes for slots, all of them

0 Likes