maetel

BSOD with Ryzen 4800U while playing games

Discussion created by maetel on Jul 16, 2020
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2020 by maetel

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad 5-15ARE05 laptop which works flawlessly when I work but constantly crashes when I play games on Steam. My current configuration is:

Ryzen 4800U with Vega graphics
16GB DDR4 3200MHz SK Hynix
512GB SSD NVMe Samsung MZVL B512HBJK
Windows 10 Home 64-bit ver.2004 up-to-date
AMD VGA_26.20.14001.58006_WHQL driver (also tried Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1)

In short only when I play games on Steam the laptop will randomly freeze, regardless of the game, and a BSOD will appear due THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER caused by amdkmdag.sys or dxgkrnl.sys.
I'm not sure what the problem exactly is but it seems to be software based related to the GPU which makes sense as this happens only when I play.
This crash happens whether I use an external monitor or the internal one and it has appeared with both the latest W10 version and the previos v.1909 one, so it's unlikely to be caused by Windows.
I have also disabled the Turbo boost as I noticed the laptop was overheating and I would see 100C in both HWInfo and Hardware Monitor Pro, but even now that the CPU barely reaches 60C when playing without performance drops the laptop still crashes, so it's not caused by the high temperatures either.
As I have also tried two different drivers, one taken from the Lenovo website and one from AMD, it seems they may not be the culprit.
I have ran Memtest86 overnight with 8 passes but no error message and ran diagnostic provided by Lenovo, but again no issues were reported.
I'm running out of options and I was wondering if you could help me in finding out where the problems and how to fix it.

Cheers

Outcomes