x_hothead_x

RX5700XT BUGs and Fixes

Discussion created by x_hothead_x on Jul 13, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 21, 2020 by x_hothead_x

Dear All,

I am in the AMD support forum from basically about 5 minutes ago, and I had issues with my RX5700XT which has been frustrating while gaming on my new PC that I've made couple of weeks ago, below I'm gonna tell you what I've done in order to fix the issues that I've got and how I fixed them and what is the primary issue that I faced with my card:

Present issues that I've got: Black screens, computer crashes and reboots, drivers crashing.

1 - Doing a clean new install of Windows it's not helping  that's right

2 - Using DDU is not helping  that's right

3 - Installing or updating Adrenalin is not helping  that's right again

4 - Installing AMD chipset drivers, it is not helping, actually the things are getting worse...  (uninstall it) no joke, without AMD chipset drivers the GPU is performing better in a lot of cases

5 - Your PSU is failing that's why you're getting black screen... not entirely true, actually most likely is not having anything to do with the PSU (remember to use 2 power cords from the PSU to the GPU and not 1 with extension) there are PSUs which are not providing 230W on single slot (this could be a solution) but not entirely, my GPU is crashing and I have Corsair 750X GOLD and it's doing good with no issues, I've tried with 280X Vapor Tri X, GEFORCE 1060TI Strix, and a SLI configuration of 280x and no issues at all, again if you have bad PSU brand could be an issue

- There are different solution that are not working and is pretty understandable, the main issue with the RX5700XT is the temperature in the majority of the case, if you try to follow your GPU temp continuously you'll see that it's going on junction 100C in a short period after opening a game... if I'm not mistaking the 110C is the max... the thing is that if the GPU get's closer to 80C to current temperature and not junction one, the drivers are just crashing

So if you have some small case and with bad airflow the issue it is coming from overheating... the RX5700XT it's really sensible in regards of temperature... but when I say really means pretty sensible... I see crashes once the GPU reaches 80C... so how to avoid that ...

Set manually the temperature FAN/TEMP and ensure that the profile stays up after reboot or after turn off, which in the majority of the cases it doesn't... (it could be due to some other software that you are having on your PC like AFTERBURNER they said... I do not have anything... anyway it's not an issue to check the drivers before playing for me

so I have XFX RX5700XT THICC III ULTRA, how did I fixed the issue with the crashes

1 - Uninstall the chipset drivers and with DX12 you're gonna get more performance

2 - Set manually the FAN/TEMP manually and save the profile

3 - Do not touch anything in the Adrenaline software (the GPU doesn't like it ) it's gonna crash

4 - Ensure that the profile that you've made it's always ON before playing

The card could crash after couple of hours, yes that's right... there seems to be something wrong between that card and the MOBO Path ... most likely... 

So in my case the XFX GPU it's coming with the following FAN/TEMP curve:

And in order to game with no crashes I've done the following one:

Important: The RX5700XT it's not a noise free card... if you want no crashes and you're sure that your computer PSU it's on spot and working properly, then the issue is the temperature of your case, and the junction is getting high... the current temperature as well, after several tests that I've done I see crashes once the GPU reaches 80C so, ensure that the card is not reaching that temperature at all, and the junction must be not over 80/90C otherwise... crash is coming again... this GPU must be cool.

I have latest BIOS and this didn't change anything for the GPU...

Setup here:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/8/2020, 22:21:57
Machine name:
Machine Id:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: ENG
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/31/19 10:15:46 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16320MB RAM
Page File: 7508MB used, 15212MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x731F)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_57011682&REV_C1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16308 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8148 MB
Shared Memory: 8160 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Internal
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.676758,0.316406), Green(0.275391,0.661133), Blue(0.152344,0.061523), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: C27JG5x
Monitor Id: SAM0F58
Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (143.998Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported

Anyway ... the issue it was the temperature only... most likely, I have done all the tests possible, and the only way to avoid crashes, and to play nicely were the temperature, nothing else, cause the system it's completely fine and I'm sure about that. If you're not about yours just check it, check the PSU, BIOS, MOBO, do not install chipset drivers... for AMD processors or the GPU... just much more issues that I've seen nothing else, mod the settings from the BIOS only, if you change the GPU GEN 4/3/2... because you have that option in the BIOS... most likely nothing it's going to change... it's just bandwidth related thing.. the BIOS usually it's adjusting the settings in base of the hardware, that's why you have much more problems that what you should...

Tell me how did you checked your system and what have you done in order to fix your GPU...

Kind Regards,

Iliyan  

Outcomes