Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

palves
Journeyman III

RAID to AHCI

Hi everyone,

I am really stuck.

My system is a MSI B450 Tomahawk with an AMD 2600. I have 3 HD, 1 NVME (OS drive), 1 SSD and 1 SATA. 

I decided to update my bios and after I got the BSOD during booting with the error: "Inaccessible boot device". I revert to the second most recent bios versions and the problem persists. I reinstall windows and nothing changed. So now I have a fresh windows built. 

I then went to the BIOS and changed the "Integrated Peripherals" - SATA Mode from AHCI to RAID and the system boots and works. I then went to device manager "Disk drives" and all drives have "AMD-RAID", for instance "AMD-RAID Force MP510 SCSI Disk Device". 

I tried to rever to AHCI using this https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci and no luck. I tried both the normal and the ALT command and same result. I reboot, I go to bios I change to AHCI and then reboots and crashed with the same BSOD. I have to back change it again to RAID and then it boots.

So I am going crazy with this and I have run out of solutions. If the solution is to reinstall windows, how can I be sure that it will install with the AHCI drivers? and do I really need to reinstall windows again?

Thanks!!

2 Replies
TriniPosse
Journeyman III

I was attempting to do this same thing and I spent a couple days researching this to no success. I eventually came to the conclusion that many of the articles, such as the one linked in the original post, are only relevant if the RAID is created using Intel RST raid controller. The method described in all those articles simply DO NOT work using AMD’s RAID controller. I have a Gigabyte AB350 motherboard.

I thought I could do an in place Windows 10 upgrade, because I was trying not to reinstall all my applications and reconfigure all the settings. I figured I could  switch from RAID to AHCI so Windows could load the AHCI drivers when it was initializing, but that didn’t work either. After the system rebooted, I switched RAID to AHCI, saved and restarted the system wouldn’t boot .

So eventually I gave up. After switching to AHCI in the BIOS I did a clean Windows install on the new NVME SSD I installed, and then used Laplink PC mover to transfer my user profiles, applications and settings, files, etc. That worked very well for me.

I created an account just to reply to this post because I wished someone had done so. It would have saved me days of research and hours of trial and error, only to realize all the articles on the Internet about this topic DO NOT apply to AMD RAID controllers. Booting into safe mode after changing RAID to AHCI in the BIOS DOES NOT work. Don’t waste your time! Hopefully someone sees this post and I could save them wasting a few hours of their life.

0 Likes

I did not even know it was possible without a complete reinstall.

A few questions:

1) Why would you switch from RAID to AHCI?

2) Did you try, prior to reinstalling, installing AMDs SATA Controller like it says here, before doing the safeboot? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-250

Thank you for sharing your experience.

0 Likes