cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deadlock542
Adept I

3700x Idling at ~75 degrees - Terraria runs at ~95

Edit 6: Going up top so that the solution is clear for my problem. I installed the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700x, and my thermals are well within acceptable limits again. I idle at ~45 degrees and topped out at ~65 in Titanfall 2. My cooler does sound like hell, but at this point, I'm not overly concerned. The problem was very clearly my AIO not being sufficient for the load I was putting on it. The next big test is figuring out how to actually change the colors of this cooler.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I just bought this processor and installed it this morning, and I can't fix these thermals. I'm using an NZXT Kraken 120mm AIO water cooler in a push config with a Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm fan. This is all situated in an NZXT S340 midtower. I used to run this exact same config with a Ryzen 5 1600 with no thermal issues. I reapplied thermal paste 3 times (I'm using Corsair TM30).

The rest of my specs are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 3700X clocked at ~4.0GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 8Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 Gb, 2 stick

PSU: EVGA 500 BQ 80+ Bronze

MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk

Honestly these temps are unacceptable, and I can't find an answer I truly understand. I'm baffled that at 7% utilization in task manager I'm at 95 degrees. Please help, I'm terrified to try wireless VR.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit 1: I disabled PBO but am still at ~72 degrees idle. Nothing seems to get above 95 though, but I'll include a list of games and their average temps:

Risk of Rain 1: 82 Degrees

Risk of Rain 2: 95 Degrees

Apex Legends: 95 Degrees

Terraria: 95 Degrees

Titanfall 2: 95 Degrees

Google Chrome: 81 Degrees

None of the games that reached 95 ever went above that, they stagnated around 95.02 at the most. I'm unsure of why this is. I have yet to adjust my clock speeds, as I'm not overly comfortable doing that, but I will try it soon. I turned on game boost for kicks and giggles, and it just crashed repeatedly.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________Edit 2: I messed around with Ryzen master to try to lower clock speeds, but any time I hit apply and test, it thermal throttles and turns off my pc. I'm lost, well and truly

_______________________________________________________________________________________________Edit 3: I've messed around with underclocking again, with slightly more success. It thermal throttles less often, but it still isn't stable. The 95 degree cap seems to have gone away, as I got up to 106 degrees while playing Titanfall 2. I'm going to try the air cooler tonight or tomorrow if I can find the piece I'm missing, maybe I accidentally screwed my water cooler by accident.

Edit 4: Added the picture. You can't make this crap up. This was after a reset. I'm getting in contact with proper AMD support

Edit 5: I  went through the power plan and discovered that even on Ryzen Balanced, my CPU was still being forced to use at least 90% of its power at all times, so I lowered that to 1%, and am seeing significantly better thermals on idle, ~50 degrees. It's still not fantastic, but the improvement is more than worth acknowledging.

0 Likes
24 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Did you get round to trying the air cooler?

I'm not really sure if a 120mm radiator is enough for a 3700x or not but with those temps at idle have you checked that the pump is even running?

0 Likes

Not yet, I lost the clips in a move, but I ordered replacements that should be here Tuesday, I'll update on that then. As for the pump; it's running and so is its accompanying fan.

0 Likes

most put 10-20x too much thermal material

most likely the reason for poor performance

0 Likes

I can try less, but I've never had problems with this before.

0 Likes

i use xm-4 which is one of the better ones

i use such a small amount you would think it was nothing, remember that the gaps to be fixed are on the micron scale

0 Likes

I tried a much smaller amount of thermal paste, as well as in a different pattern, but I'm still getting bad thermals, almost identical to before, with no real variation one way or another. I'm hoping that the wraith prism does a better job, and there's just something wrong with my water cooler. I'll blow out the radiator again and see if that helps, but there wasn't much dust to begin with.

0 Likes

I have the AMD RGB fan which works really good with my CPU, i removed the AMD material.

I wonder if the thermal material you have is of less well developed one like MX-4 etc

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Okay...  there are a few things that jump out at me...  First, you say clocked at 4.0 GHz, does this mean you have set an all core clock speed?  Don't...  Second, you say a 7% idle usage?  That sounds like you have something running in the background that is hammering your CPU...   I have lots of junk running in the background and my 3700X is around 2-3% usage.

You also are using an old B350 board, is your BIOS up to date?  Have you loaded the BIOS defaults and run it like that?  Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed?  Are you using a Ryzen Power Plan in windows?  How is the airflow in your case?  What is the orientation of the fans of your AIO?  Orientation of the case fans?  Do the temps change if you gently push against the pump of the AIO?  That would indicate that there is not enough mounting pressure...  How is the AIO connected to the motherboard?  Are you using the proper headers for the pump and fans?  How is pump and fan speed controlled with NZXT?...

That is just a handful of the questions you need to be asking yourself...

QB

0 Likes

Okay, that's a lot of questions that I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. 

The clock speed is what reads out in task manager, although Ryzen Master says its max is 4.4, and it never gets that high in my experience. Sorry if that didn't make sense, I've never bothered with messing with frequencies before, as I've never had problems. This is what it came clocked at btw, I haven't adjusted this in BIOS or RM.

Task manager says about 3% utilization on idle, but I'm still getting ~65-70 degree readouts on RM. I've looked to see if anything is running in the background, and I've checked for malware, but there's nothing I can find that would be the obvious culprit.

As for my mobo, it is on the most recent BIOS available.

The airflow in my case should be sufficient, the back and top and pushing out of the case, while the front are pulling in, one pushing fresh air through the radiator. I pushed on the pump, but there was no clear difference. The pump and fans are all going to the correct headers. The pump isn't PWM, so it's just running at full blast all the time as far as I'm aware.

Edit: Forgot to mention Windows power plan. I'm using Ryzen Balanced, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Okay, that all sounds good so far...  You can try Ryzen Performance Plan, it may help, but I highly doubt it...  BTW  I use the Ryzen Performance Plan.

I am guessing that little 120mm AIO is just not enough.  I had an ancient Corsair H80i on mine when I first got the upgrade and it was barely adequate...  that was a 120mm AIO with a very thick radiator and push/pull dual fans.  It had a lot of liquid permeation so it's liquid levels were not what they once were...  how old is your AIO?  I am currently running a Corsair iCUE H100i RGB RPO XT (240mm) and I wouldn't call it extreme cooling...  

QB

0 Likes

The AIO itself was new around the end of... 2018? But I used a smaller case at the time, and the way I had to mount the fans meant my thermals were actually worse, it has been in its box for about a year now. It honestly seems to be the bottleneck, so I'm hoping the wraith prism will do the job once the pieces arrive.

0 Likes

I use  giant EATX chassis with lots of fans to keep my expensive hardware safe,

0 Likes

LOL...  I have a HAF 932...  and I don't think I will ever get a "new" case...  airflow is atrocious in modern cases!  Plus where would I put my Optical Drive!  And where would I even put my 7 SSD's/HDD's...  I have had to resort to purchasing a USB 3.0 front panel add-on that will fit in my FDD slot (which is actually a 5.25" bay adapter itself)...  LONG LIVE THE HAF!!

QB

0 Likes

qbtheslayer wrote:

LOL...  I have a HAF 932...  and I don't think I will ever get a "new" case...  airflow is atrocious in modern cases!  Plus where would I put my Optical Drive!  And where would I even put my 7 SSD's/HDD's...  I have had to resort to purchasing a USB 3.0 front panel add-on that will fit in my FDD slot (which is actually a 5.25" bay adapter itself)...  LONG LIVE THE HAF!!

QB

same as I use

0 Likes

WP_20200328_20_41_05_Pro.jpg

Anyway sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread...  But just one more of the outside 

01.JPG

Wow...  that's an old pic...  I think only one or two components inside are the same!

Now back to the OP....  I have a quick question...  why are you waiting for the Wraith Prism to arrive?  Did you not have one in the box?

QB

0 Likes

I noticed you repainted some of the grill components. I never bothered.

I have a Corsair HX1000i in my rig. At one time I had problems with power so I now use extreme power supplies.

I use the AMD RGB cooler on an R5 3600 which keeps it cold.

Your water cooler looks like its been there a while, new models have much better fans on them.

0 Likes

AIO is brand new...  iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT

And yes I painter ALL the grill components...  it was a serious chore dismantling them all from the frames (even the 5.25" covers and the side vents)...  and an even bigger chore taping the grills on the chassis itself.  But the effect was well worth it.

QB

0 Likes

H100i is not a newer model, been around for 4-5 years now.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-... 

This model is the latest and it has RGB along with a thicker radiator and better fans.

Here is the H115i video https://youtu.be/0DINK8ouBn4

0 Likes

You are slightly wrong. While the H100 has been around for close to a decade and versions of the H100i have been around for many many years, the iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT is very new, released in Jan this year.. and the H115i is not even the same same class... that's a 280mm AIO

QB

0 Likes

qbtheslayer wrote:

You are slightly wrong. While the H100 has been around for close to a decade and versions of the H100i have been around for many many years, the iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT is very new, released in Jan this year.. and the H115i is not even the same same class... that's a 280mm AIO

QB

My date estimate was based on their H100i version, the older H100 has been around for closer to a decade.

Asetek hold patents galore on water cooling so prices are higher than they should be, prior art for custom jobs goes back 40 years at least

0 Likes

Hi folks, I know you're having a good conversation here, but could it be held elsewhere? I check my email and this thread daily in case there's something new that could help me, and you two bantering over when a certain water cooler came out really isn't helpful. I appreciate the help both of you already gave, but please take this elsewhere

I'm waiting for the mounting brackets, I lost mine in a move.

0 Likes

Personally it sounds either the CPU Cooler is not strong enough for your processor or it is installed incorrectly.

Your Ryzen CPU maximum operating temperature is 95C. When the processor's temps start reaching or has reached 95C the processor automatically starts to throttle or lower its frequencies to reduce power thus reducing temperature.

If at idle your temps are above mid 50's C and around ~72C with a AIO cooler than it is not installed correctly or is defective. 

Make sure there are no leakages nor any blockages on any of the input and output hoses.

Make sure the input hose is slightly cooler but warm than the output hose from the processor's water block. This means the pump is working.

Make sure there are no obstructions to the air flow to the Radiator and fan.

Make sure the Fan is running at maximum when it starts getting hotter than ~70C or higher.

Make sure the Water Block is tight and evenly installed on the processor.

If all above is good I would open a NZXT Support ticket to see if you need to RMA your CPU Cooler or purchase a 240MM Radiator CPU Cooler.

NOTE: Even if the CPU Cooler is not strong enough for your processor it should never allow the processor's temps to go to 72C during idle. Maybe in the high 50's C at most.

0 Likes

over with computer chess, the AIO dual fan coolers seem to last about 5 years before problems, chess forums are full of advise on water cooling that I have read over the years.

evidently several things can go wrong with them which is why I simply use a bigger air cooler on my box

0 Likes