Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mtbjunkie
Journeyman III

Screen Flicker Black and Green then System Crash - New PC

Describe your system:

All parts purchased in April 2020

AMD Graphics CardAsus ROG Strix RX 5700XT OC

Custom DesktopAsus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe, Stock Cooling plus 6 Noctua case fans, in a Corsair Tower Case (large size)

Operating SystemWindows 10 Pro 64bit

Driver version installed20.10.17.01-200525a-355166E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020Display Devices

Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate - 

Display 1 - 10ft. DisplayPort cable

Monitor Make Model - Sceptre P30 30-inch Curved gaming monitor

Firmware ver. M001

Product Ver. D58JW9MA

Refresh Rate 200

Timing Info - Horizontal - Vertical

Total - 2720 - 1125

Display - 2560 - 1080

Front Porch - 48 - 1083

Sync Width - 32 - 5

Polarity - Positive - Negative

Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive

G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 183600

G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 60

HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled

Current Link Settings - 1.62 Gbps x 4

AMD FreeSync Refresh Rate - 48 to 60 Hz reported by displayOne line for each display device connected

Display 2 - 10ft. HDMI cable

BenQ Model: GW2760HS

Timing Info - Horizontal - Vertical

Total - 2200 - 1125

Display - 1920 - 1080

Front Porch - 88 - 1084

Sync Width - 44 - 5

Polarity - Positive - Positive

Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive

G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 148350

G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 59.9394

HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled

Current Link Settings - Not Available

Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

BIOS Version - 2103 (also occurred on prior versions 2010, and 1302)

CPU/APU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core

Power Supply Unit - Corsair RMX Series RM850x 80+ Gold Cert.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB)

Describe your issue:

This issue has been ongoing since I built this PC. It was occuring on older driver and BIOS versions from March 2020 onward. It appears to have gotten a bit better with the newer drivers and BIOS versions, but still consistently happens daily.

I turn off my computer when not in use. Mainly turn it on in the evenings after work to play Heros of the Storm.

Upon first boot up for the day, and starting play of a match, I will start having black screen flickering after a few minutes of play. This happens on both screens (same occurs on Display 1 by itself, trying different display port cables). Sometimes the sound will lag/hang, and the second screen turns green, the first screen black. It will recover from this at random, and eventually it will crash completely. After a reboot I usually do not have this issue again for the rest of the session/day.

It is pretty consistent with first start up and round of game play. I cannot remember it happening after the first round, maybe with past drivers and BIOS. Today I have playing for 5 hours and it only happened after the first boot.

I have tried with the default Radeon settings and modified settings, mostly turning off default settings that are turned on. 

I have also completely reloaded Windows 10

Details about applications/games affected (including version number)

Playing Heros of the Storm

Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)

Heros of the Storm (see attached settings)

If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue

I am not able to get a screenshot, I could film it on my phone after the PC sits overnight.

Details I copied out of the Radeon Software

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Primary/Discrete

VRAM - 8176 MB - GDDR6 1750 MHz

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Device ID - 731F

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 04E2

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1043

Revision ID - C1

Bus Type - PCI Express 4.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 4.0 x16

BIOS Version - 017.001.000.049

BIOS Part Number - 115-D182PI0-100

BIOS Date - 2020/02/10 01:44

Usable Memory Size - 8176 MB

Memory Type - GDDR6

Memory Clock - 1750 MHz

Core Clock - 1905 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 448 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 14.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

OpenGL® API Version - 4.6

OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor - 12 Cores

RAM - 32 GB

Update 070920: Same problem is happening in Titanfall 2 (Tried a different game tonight). Tonight it happened after the initial crash in Heros of the Storm had already happened earlier tonight. I installed the new Radeon Software Version 20.71 today after the HotS crash, and prior to the Titanfall 2 crash occurred. I am feeling like this is a hardware issue of some sort. Help!

Update 071220: I used the instructions in this thread - RX 5700XT Green Screen Crashes  No crashes in 3 days. Mind you I can only get 60fps and no way of modifying the driver to do anything with it like the adrenaline 2020 drivers allow for. Just default settings and no interface to customize or turn on things like FreeSync. This tells me the newer drivers have some issue that needs work still.

Update 071420: Had a crash this evening after starting a Heros of the Storm game. Green screen second monitor and black screen on first monitor. Computer rebooted and I continued playing for about 3 hours without any additional problems. I am going to contact Asus and request a warranty on this graphics card.  :L

Update 071420: I made a RMA request with Asus. In the mean time I uninstalled the 2019 graphics drivers and went back to the latest Adrenaline 2020 driver. I also removed/reinstalled the AMD chip set drivers to install the version recommended by Asus on my Motherboard support page - Version 2.04.09.131 2020/07/09.

After that I reset Heros of the Storm graphics settings to default. I even changed some of the settings to lower than default per some articles I am reading for performance (not stability). I would actually expect to be able to run higher settings (I would think I could run all the highest settings for the price of this graphics card), but here I am settling for less.

With these changes I have had two days of uninterrupted game play. I am thankful for this, but I am unhappy with the graphics card choice I made. I will not recommend this card, or any others from AMD. Since no one can respond here from AMD, what is the point of posting anything here? Anyway thank you for those that did respond. I am done here.

Thank yoU!!

0 Likes
4 Replies
devilzzz
Adept II

Did you report this to AMD? Reporting things about these beta drivers or whatever is easy to do.  I had an issue where they would not even install and reported that and then found out that for some reason my motherboard did not have the latest BIOS or any BIOS that was recent and used certain areas to type text to let them know the problem had been solved.  Also I see in the reporting section you can report about a specific game or games and include all the information you shared here.  Definitely worth it to share here with fellow users but definitely report the problems to AMD through the way they have set things out.

0 Likes

I have not. I would think they would be reading this post and that is enough. Is this not reporting to AMD?

0 Likes
rich210
Adept I

I'm having an aweful time with my 5700 xt. I'll be sending it back as it's an eBay purchase which clearly doesn't work. I've updated all the drivers for everything and can't even play football manager. What a joke

0 Likes

I was thinking about contacting Asus (my graphics card maker), and requesting a swap over to Nvidia. I will be a patient for a little longer with AMD and their drivers. 

0 Likes