cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

axis38
Journeyman III

My pc keeps going into power saving mode after I exit some games

I've had this problem for quite some time now, but recently it happens more often.

This happens every time after I exit out of path of exile, and every 3rd or 4th time I exit a game of league of legends or teamfight tactics. It probably happened on some other occasions, but i didn't notice specifically when. It rarely happens while I'm still in game.

So the issue is that after I exit the game my monitor says "Power saving mode", my fans start running fast and the only thing I can do to get the control back is to restart the PC or force shut it down. I can still talk in discord when the monitor says power saving mode, but I'm not sure if I can control my mouse and keyboard.

I haven't played any games for a while so in the meantime it wasn't happening at all (If it did, it was so rare that I don't even remember). 

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6402P CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

GPU Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics

0 Likes
10 Replies

What operating system are you using? Version and build?

You might want to bump the memory on your machine to 16GB as Windows seems to work much better with it.

0 Likes

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Yeah i might buy more RAM

0 Likes

I am using Windows 10 v 2004 as a clean install

It seems to be OK for NVIDIA cards who has a stable driver but AMD has been slower to get a driver out 

0 Likes
carlb11
Journeyman III

Try to use SSD.

0 Likes

I'm already using an SSD

Model KINGSTON SA400S37240G it's 256GB

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

When you say the monitor says "power saving mode" do you mean it as in the monitor shuts down as if it has lost video signal?

0 Likes

The first thing that happens is that my mouse cursor stops and the fans in my computer start running wild. Then I get a "power saving mode" message on my screen. If I'm listening to youtube music it stops right away, but if I'm talking to someone on discord I can still talk. I always restarted my computer so I don't know how long this will/would last. When I restart my pc everything is back to normal. I've had this PC for 4 years now and it's been happening ever since I've bought it, but more frequently as of late. It might be because of the different type of games I've been playing, but it could also be a problem with the build or with windows(I bought a key from allkeyshop for windows if it matters).

0 Likes

i suggest setting your power plan to the power saver mode, this will slow your rig down fast after gaming and it should help with thermal management 

0 Likes

I tried this now, but it still went to power saving mode after exiting the game. I don't think it's overheating because it never shuts down during gameplay, only when I exit the game.

0 Likes

The load on the hardware falls sharply after gaming, so it may take a second to recover and be ready for changing games etc

0 Likes