Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ms_sloth
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3900X high temperatures

Hi everyone,

so i've read some things about high temps with the new Ryzen 3000 series but mostly from last year. 

My CPU temps are going crazy. Using Windows Energy Saving power plan, i'm at about 40°-65° C when browsing & watching youtube.

As soon as I switch to the Ryzen Balanced i'm usually between 50°-70° C. I don't think those are normal temperatures for a CPU under such low load. 

I haven't tried gaming yet but running prime 95 will give me temps about 65° after 5 Minutes (Windows Energy Saving powerplan). Switching to Ryzen Balanced won't give me much higher temps here.

I find that behaviour really weird. When i'm doing basic, low load stuff the temps spike up to > 70° C leading my fans to go crazy every couple of minutes. While putting it under stress won't do much.

Picture one shows you HWInfo while running prime 95, picture 2 shows you a couple of minutes just browsing.

Here is my System

Ryzen 3900X

Crosshair Hero VII (Wi-fi)

G Skill F4-3600C17-16GTZ (Running basically at stock because I Thought the D.O.C.P might be broken, i've just set the speed to 3200)

GTX 1070 TI

BeQuiet ShadowRock 3

0 Likes
2 Replies
ms_sloth
Journeyman III

Also I have the Meshify C Casewith 2 Noctua NF-A14 Coolers in the front of my case and a NF-S12A at the back. I was thinking about adding another A14 to the top, but i don't think that this would fix the mentioned behaviour.

I pretty much kept the BIOS-Settings untouched except for setting the RAM speed to 3200.

I run the AMD x470 chipset software 2.04.28.626 and The Bios-Version 3103 (Gaming-Mainboard ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO | ASUS )

I hope anyone can help me explain these temps and maybe find a solution. I might try reapplying thermal paste but honestly i don't think that is the main problem as temps under load seem to be okay.

0 Likes
ms_sloth
Journeyman III

So I've removed the cooler. I'm not that experienced but I think the amount of thermal paste was OK, right? IMG_20200701_123841.jpgIMG_20200701_123835.jpg

0 Likes