cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

giourga
Journeyman III

Compatibility questions - upgrading my gpu

Hello! So my gpu right now  is a ATI Radeon HD 3850 , REALLY OLD . And i want to improve to a Rx 570 , the thing is, i have this motherboard :  H61m-c , it has a pci 3.0 x16 connector but will it work? are there more things to check ? ( my power supply is a 450 W one ) . 

0 Likes
7 Replies

Your Motherboard has one PCIe x 16 (3.0/2.0) so it should work as long as it fits inside your computer case.

Plus the Minimum PSU Wattage needed to run the computer with a RX570 is 450 Watts according to AMD.

The problem you might have is the Intel CPU might end up throttling your new GPU performance via a bottleneck.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help ! My cpu is i believe even older its a pentium G2030, i believe its overclocked ,but they have told me in the past to change it asap to at least an i3 or something simillar. Do you know if it would hold my gpu back that much ? plus how can i find what i need to change my power supply too , thank you for any future answers and for your time .

0 Likes

As far as PSU, I suggest you purchase at least a 850 Watt Metal rated (Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Bronze) PSU for your computer. This size PSU will be good for you in case you want to upgrade your Motherboard and CPU and GPU in the future.

I purchased a top of the line Corsair 850 Watt PSU about 8-9 years ago and it is still working like new and I have updated my GPU and Processor 2 or 3 times to my latest Modern GPU without having to change my PSU once.

This Tech Website gives you all the Minimum PSU Wattage that your computer needs to run various AMD and Nvidia GPU cards. Very useful website when upgrading your GPU card: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

As far as processors goes, I would try and purchase the latest Intel Processor your motherboard supports. That processor may still throttle your GPU performance but it should work better.

Here is your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST: H61M-C CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA . It supports I5 and I7 Intel Processors.

I am not the one to tell which processor is best for your new GPU Card. Someone else like Black_Zion can probably tell you which Intel processor in your CPU Support list is the best Intel processor for your motherboard which still might throttle the new GPU card.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me . And thanks for your help

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

PCI and PCIe are different sockets so be careful with the distinction.

Your motherboard has PCIe 3.0

The RX570m will work fine in that slot.

All PCIe slots are forwards and backwards compatible anyway.

Your power supply may need upgrading.

Your CPU may limit the GPU performance depending what it is but the PC will work with the new card whatever the CPU is.

0 Likes

i see , it doesnt matter that its a ddr5 gpu ? and i asked mister elstaci well about the power that i would need , and a cpu so i can fully support my graphics card , cause thats my intent , to use it as well as possible , thank you for any future answers !

0 Likes

It doesn't matter what the card is it will render anything as fast as it can.

The CPU needs to tell it what to render though which is why we are saying it will probably bottleneck.

The best CPU your motherboard can  use is the i7-3770 but given the price I can't really recommend you buying it.

Personally I think you should get the graphics card and then upgrade to a new motherboard/cpu/memory when you can afford it.

And go AMD, price to performance is so much better.

I agree with elstaci that a good power supply is a worth while investment. Had mine for 7 years and 3 upgrades.

0 Likes