cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

darkestlight
Adept II

5700 XT owners w/ black screens/autoreboots/BSODs/etc - does changing RAM speeds help?

With 20.4.2, I had many black screens where the system would hang and then after a few seconds my GPU fans would go to 100%

But two days ago, via bios I both deactivated XMP and put my 3400MHz RAM back to it's automatic default profile, which set it back ti 2133MHz. And I've played about 20/25 hours in Borderlands 2 crash free over those two days, when I couldn't even get 2 or 3 hours crash free. I was originally tempted to think about whether my RAM and its timings were implicated in my crashes by comments in this Reddit thread.

I have seen some rare stuttering, whether that's due to decreased performance from removing my RAM overclock, capping Borderlands 2 at 30fps (I was thinking maybe the HDMI/DP cable was bad and so with reduced bandwidth I might get no crashes, which didn't true) or not having Freesync enabled or some driver malfunction.

I've also tried a bunch of other stuff to try and be able to actually play my games, I'll list the changes and whether or not I've kept them so my case can be more reproducible for you guys.

Kept or irreversible - Radeon Software (RS): Deactive Freesync, power limit to max (+50%) in RS, change Windows power plan settings (originally I was on Ryzen Balanced and I just set deactivated managing of the PCIe link, thought that would get rid of crashes and it didn't, but now I've just switched to Ryzen High Performance), deactivate Radeon Chill (had originally set it to max 75 and min 30, then max 60 and min 30, now just deactivated because I don't want to tempt the capricious and frankly malicious driver gods and I'll just use in game fps caps where possible), deactivate Enhanced Sync, use HDMI instead of DP, Game Mode and Game Bar deactivated, SFC /scannow tried in admin powershell

• Reversed - switched to 19.8.1 because for my specific 5700 XT model it's the driver listed on the page which made me think it must work, but it just gave me black screens without autoreboots, so I DDU'd and went back to 20.4.2
  • automatic undervolt with RS (1149mV) (reversed when I reinstalled the driver)
  • in bios. activation of XMP and overclock of RAM to stated 3400MHz using the given profile

My specs

X570 MSI Tomahawk (stock BIOS)

3700X (with stock cooler) (I would be only partially surprised if changing RAM speeds didn't change anything for Intel CPU owners)

Gigabyte OC Gaming 5700 XT

PV416G340C6K Patriot DDR4-3400 CL16 (Edit: forgot to mention this is on the QVL for my mobo)

Corsair TXM Gold 750W

AOC Q3279VWFD8 (1440p, 75Hz)

My WhoCrashed reports (the earliest reports here may correspond to the 19.8.1 driver rather than 20.4.2, I don't remember when I tried 19.8.1)

On Tue 23/06/2020 17:04:29 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062320-6843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8006DC109F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFC38E23F82010, 0xFFFFF8006DC109F0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 23/06/2020 17:04:29 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8006DC109F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFC38E23F82010, 0xFFFFF8006DC109F0, 0x0, 0xD)
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Tue 23/06/2020 16:16:10 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062320-7093-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (0xFFFFF803389C6DA3)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803389C6DA3, 0xFFFFF8032C880920, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 23/06/2020 16:10:23 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062320-10375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3DDA20)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFE70021E494D4, 0x8A00000000200121, 0xFFFFC28356B1F090, 0xA)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 21/06/2020 22:02:30 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062120-6625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80069E609F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFDE8230C0E010, 0xFFFFF80069E609F0, 0x0, 0xD)

On Sat 20/06/2020 21:08:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062020-6203-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8021EFFCD70)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8021EFFCD70, 0xFFFFFD05FC723478, 0xFFFFFD05FC722CB0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

I will fiddle with RAM timings eventually and so on and report back, but for now I'm just happy to be able to actually, finally, use this card, which is definitely great (in terms of hardware). Just a shame it's taken so long to be usable.

0 Likes
14 Replies
caffeine
Adept I

i tried changing ram speed but nothing happened 

0 Likes

How did you do it? Did you deactivate XMP in BIOS and change your RAM speed back to its automatic default profile, also in BIOS? What were your RAM speeds and timings before and after changing? And also, what are your specs?

0 Likes
darkestlight
Adept II

Also caffeine, when you say nothing happened, you mean the frequency of your crashes/BSODs/system hangs hasn't changed? What kinds of crashes were you having and what were your error codes?

0 Likes
caffeine
Adept I

I changed ram speed by activating xmp in bios ,

the memory speed before enabling xmp was : 2666mhz after : 3200mhz

i mean by " nothing changed " that the crashes still happening

Crash : screen goes black , keyboard and mouse goes off , pc still on but freezed with black screen so i need to reboot with power button

Specs : ryzen 9 3900x , 5700xt , 32gb ram

0 Likes

You should deactivate XMP. When I say changing RAM speeds, I mean the RAM OC is likely unstable, hence speeds should be decreased for stability, not increased. 2666 MHz seems quite high for stock, what latency is that at (you can use something like cpu-z)? Had you OC'd the RAM and/or changed the timings beforehand? And for the RAM, could you post your model number?

0 Likes
darkestlight
Adept II

Update: given that JEDEC timings are apparently max 3200 MT/s with loose timings, I've tried to go to 3000 MHz with CL-16 using XMP, and I'm still gaming for long periods of time without any crashes, I'll try 3200 MHz next after testing this speed for a bit more.

0 Likes

I found similar issues also with my 5700XT and "cheap" system memory. While it was not priced cheap, I found out later it was Hynix 3200 XMP. Instead of tweaking forever, I just went and bought G Skill FlareX 3200 14-14-14-34 ram. No more atikmdag.sys crashes or freezes. The memory OC to 3600 with 16-18-18-18-38 timings. Very hard to bet Samsung B die memory.

My RAM (PV416G340C6K, DDR4-3400, CL16 18-18-36) was apparently supposed to be good for overclocking according to reviews on tomshardware and similar. I was naively holding out a slight hope for B-die with DDR4-3400, despite 

How exactly did you find the manufacturer for that first set of RAM you had? Were you lucky enough to have all the ICs made by the same manufacturer for that model (rather than a lottery)?

0 Likes

you mean VRam or RAM ? if it is RAM i change mine form 2666 to 3000 and that help a lot on fps and my PC speed but i have the random crashes no black screen I also I over clocked my CPU form 3GHZ to 3.5 GHZ 

BTW my crashes is the DX11 lost form Unreal Engine games. 

0 Likes

you mean VRam or RAM ?

RAM, not VRAM. Couldn't hurt to try de-OCing your VRAM overclock, but with these mobo generations I'm seeing faster and faster RAM (all of varying quality, as king alludes to), so I'd bank on the RAM OC being the problem. Have you tried OCing your RAM to the XMP profile directly below 3000 MHZ (2933 I imagine) ? What exactly is your RAM rated for, also?

if it is RAM i change mine form 2666 to 3000 and that help a lot on fps and my PC speed but i have the random crashes no black screen I also I over clocked my CPU form 3GHZ to 3.5 GHZ 

If your CPU OC is stable at 2666 I would very tentatively say the CPU OC is stable anyway. Could you post the error codes you're getting, i.e with WhoCrashed? Could be useful to compare.

BTW my crashes is the DX11 lost form Unreal Engine games. 

Which ones in particular?

0 Likes

Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost 

it is only happen in game that made with Unreal Engine 

0 Likes
madbill
Adept II

Yes,changing ram speed actually helps!No more black screens for now,i can normaly play.(20.7.2)Seems high overclocked ram was also unstable.Reduce speed,and add more voltage,or just try add more voltage.

Be careful about increasing voltage if you want to maximise the lifespan of your RAM though.

0 Likes
accn
Elite

The frequency of my crashes is not related to the frequency of memory, timings, whatever. Moreover, I changed the memory set to a better one and crashes continue to occur at stock / xmp / oc

0 Likes