AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to determine what is causing visual artifacts

Question asked by wiery on Jun 22, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2020 by wiery

So I recently built my first gaming PC just over a month ago after some extensive research online. Everything has been running smoothly and looking great over the past month, and I have spent well over 100 hours gaming on it. All of a sudden yesterday, I started experiencing flickering horizontal bars of vertical lines across different parts of the screen. This continued until the screen eventually went black and I had to shut down the computer by holding the power button. Now whenever I turn the PC back on I see this visual artifact even when I'm not doing anything - at the login screen, the desktop, and while playing games. Sometimes it goes away and I can be on for a few hours without seeing it, other times it'll come back right away or not disappear at all. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and installing the latest ones, to no avail. 

When I take a screenshot of the artifacts and view it later (when there is no artifacts), everything looks normal. This leads me to believe that it is not a graphics card or driver issue, but rather something to do with the monitor or connection. However, when I use AMD Cleanup to remove all drivers, without installing any display drivers afterwards, the visual artifacting is gone. 

I really have no idea what could be causing this problem or what to do about it. All of the components in my PC are basically brand new and I have never overclocked anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Here are my specs:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

- MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

- Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB

- Storage: Samsung 860 evo 500GB

- PSU: Corsair RM750x

Outcomes