cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

airchomp
Journeyman III

My graphics drivers keep resetting to factory default drivers.

I've been having issues installing the latest AMD graphics drivers for my HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop. Every time I get the newest drivers installed, some time afterward the system prompts me to restart my computer to "finish installing updates" or something like that. When the computer finishes restarting, it's on the factory default drivers.

The GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 550X, which I'm guessing is too low-end to keep supporting. I just bought this computer two years ago though, and expected it to do better than this. Having put up with the graphics driver update/downgrade loop long enough, I'm seeking help here.

When the correct drivers are installed, everything is fine. Then Windows Update or SOMETHING decides "oh, you have the wrong drivers for this GPU, we're going to download and forcibly install the factory default drivers for you!" This is very frustrating, because without the latest drivers, I can't utilize the various features I've come to make use of in my gaming experiences, like Radeon Chill for example.

I did notice there's a difference between what the drivers get labeled as in the system page, mostly in the form of "Radeon 550X" and "Radeon RX 550/550 Series". Is there some kind of setting or way I can tell this thing that the newer drivers are the thing to keep?

Thank you for reading, hopefully someone or something can help.

0 Likes
3 Replies

You can stop/delay automatic driver installation by several means depending on which version of Win10..ie. Pro or Home.

Please read:

https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&i... 

It is probably HP Support Assistant | HP® Official Site 
If it is installed and active, turn it off.

airchomp
Journeyman III

Thank you folks for answering. I think I may have figured some things out, as well. After checking into both of those, my drivers seem to be staying put on the latest versions. I've been waiting and watching for about a week, and seems all is well!

I also noted that ticking the "Factory Reset" box when installing new AMD drivers tended to cause the outdated / factory defaults to be rolled back to without fail. I unticked that checkbox when updating, and it seems that may have also been the problem: Factory Reset, while "recommended" (I think?) to be checked, tends to do what it says, a little too well. When left unticked, the drivers update properly and stay intact. It's been doing okay thus far,

My guess is that whenever the computer detects a driver for something (like graphics) isn't installed, it quickly re-installs defaults to make up for it. That's understandable procedure, though not exactly ideal when you're actually trying to update.

Bottom line: When installing / updating to new graphics drivers, if shortly afterwards things go back to defaults, try the update process again without the "Factory Reset" checkbox ticked at the end of the prompts. That way it doesn't literally "Factory Reset" your graphics drivers any more than it has to.

Thank you for reading and helping!