Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

max_taylorsmith
Journeyman III

CPU Thermal Information

Hi all,

I am looking for technical data on AMD CPU thermal information. Ideally there would be thermal models for each device, but any material data/core sizes/thermal resistance values would also be great.

I am new to the AMD community so the specific device does not matter, but I am hoping there is a technical download section or product support for each device I am missing?

Thanks for your help,

Max

0 Likes
4 Replies

I know of two sites, one AMD and the other Non-AMD:

AMD Site: https://www.amd.com/en/support/tech-docs 

Non-AMD site: Datasheets & application notes - Datasheet Archive Search Engine 

If those two doesn't have what you need then you need to open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see if they have that information available to the public from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Thanks elstaci,

It is me or are all those documents well out of date? Most recent design guides and data sheets for processors are 2014!

Do you know where I could find info for the RYZEN or EPYC?

Thanks,

Max

0 Likes

Need to ask AMD Support that question. I gave the link in my first reply.

Sorry that is all I know as far as technical data sheets are concerned.

This is a User to User forum. Other have asked similar questions and needed to contact AMD Support to find out if the information they need is made available to the public.

You can also post your question at AMD Developer's Forum and see if any other Users may have that information or at AMD Server Guru:

AMD Server Gurus‌  or Newcomers Start Here‌ (Developer's Forum for New Users)

0 Likes

There is no thermal resistance used in engineering, instead the idea is thermal conductivity which varies widely.

Designing a thermal management device does take some sophisticated modelling to calculate the dissipative capability.

For example the bundled AMD Wraith Prism RGB has a capacity of about 140W that it can handle for transferring thermal energy from the CPU and dumping into the air. The fan moves air faster to improve radiative energy dissipation.

So the CPU cooler technically is a crude heat pump that moves heat from the CPU to the ambient air.

0 Likes