cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tafka
Adept I

My laptop crashes when installing drivers on freshly installed windows

Hi, Just bought a old new laptop , Hope I have not thrown my money away. Turning to you for better Ideas , My google search skills have not helped me.

laptop - Alienware M17 r4 keeps crashing when I am trying to install AMD graphics drivers.I did get it installed once ran for a week and than crashed in middle of performing high graphics card demanding task .

Always used detection software first.
After the crash windows stops booting up , repair does not work, system restore does not work.So I have been just reinstalling windows every single time( I am a newby,obv)
I just ran memtest86 test Gave a Pass (RAM)
Ran Seagate hard drive Long/SMART/short etc Tests on Seagate Hard drive Tool , everything passed
Ran Alienware (it has some testing tool) It gave all clear
Tempetures are fine. (was monitoring temp during the crash). It did not make any noise ,run pretty quietly

So what else should I check , Or is that good indication that my graphics card has died or sign of motherboard being dead ?
Or could it be my integrated graphics card that has died. Or any other problem , power supply?

Or any chance it being software problem

Thank you for your help

Specs:
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7 3630QM CPU
Integrated Graphics Intel HD 4000
Amd radeon hd 7970m
Fixed HDD ST1000LM-RK172 Seagate 1TB
Second HDD ST1000LM024 HN M101MBB 1TB
16GB Kingston something RAM (sry Im back at reinstalling windows

0 Likes
6 Replies

You didn't mention which Windows version you have installed on your laptop. Dell only has Drivers for Windows 7 & 8/8.1.

Also when you installed Windows again did you use your laptop's Restore Disc when you restored your laptop to the original Windows and apps installed from the factory?

Go to Dell's Diagnostic webpage and run their scan to see if your laptop is having any hardware or software issues from here: Support for Alienware M17x R4 | Diagnostics | Dell US 

With an Intel APU in your laptop, Your Intel Graphics driver and CHIPSET drivers must all be the latest version for the latest AMD Driver to work correctly from here: Support for Alienware M17x R4 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

It is best FIRST to install DELL's AMD and Intel Graphics drivers for your Laptop GPU and also make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed from here: Support for Alienware M17x R4 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

If by installing DELLS AMD & Intel's Graphic drivers make your laptop to work normally again. Then try updating using DELL's own laptop driver updater or Intel Driver updater and the latest AMD Driver from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-7970m 

EDIT: If you should happened to upgrade to Windows 10, it is possible your laptop may not be 100% compatible with Windows 10 since Dell has no drivers for Windows 10 on its download page.

I would open a Dell Support ticket and find out if Windows 10 is supported on your laptop IF that is the Windows version you currently have installed.

Thank you so much for your response , i will put it to the test after I get home from work.

I am on Windows 10, 

Cheers

0 Likes

Windows 10 64-bit on Alienware M17x R4 - Dell Community  found that link  

With out your help tho , I would not have figured it out 

Thank you so much for your Time

Sometimes when a laptop manufacturers doesn't have drivers for a Windows OS may indicate that the laptop may not fully support that Windows OS.

But hopefully you will get your laptop working with Windows 10 installed.

Good find in that Dell Thread! 

But that Dell Thread is from 2015 when Windows 10 first came out.

I suggest you use Intel Driver Assistant to update all of your laptop's Intel Drivers including your Intel APU Graphics driver.

So little update ,  I did get everything installed , but as soon as I opened up a game it crashed with same problem as I had when I 1st tried to install amd graphics drivers.

I found few other threads around the internet , people having same problem alienware>windows 10>7970m. But no solutions.

I really do not want to switch to windows 7/8. 

Upgrading my graphics card feel as dodgy

Trying to sell my laptop to next victim feels unethical.

Morale of the story , do not buy used laptops

I try to search the web abit more but feels like it will not lead me anywhere , already spent too much time on it

It will be ethical to sell your used laptop if you restore it back to its "Factory Defaults" with its original OS by using the laptop's Restore disc. That is if you have one.