cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

threadripped
Adept I

Stolen Processor

Without getting in to a whole story about how my CPU was stolen, Is there anyway for AMD to track a stolen CPU? maybe have AMD place it a black list? I am trying to get the serial from the Mfg. to provide for a police report, but I am just curious if AMD can do anything?

0 Likes
17 Replies

Well, if the person who stole the CPU tried to RMA the processor he wouldn't be able to since the thief doesn't have the official documentations needed by AMD.

Also the thief could possibly obscure the Serial Number on the stolen processor surface before reselling it again.

No harm in opening a AMD Service Request and asking them that question from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form .

EDIT: The Retailer should have all the information of the CPU you purchased from them.

Also see if they will replace it or refund your money.  I had ordered an expensive HDD from Newegg and the Post office left it outside my 3rd floor Condo door when they delivered it. It was stolen. I opened a Police Report and gave that information to Newegg and they refunded my money for the stolen HDD.

I also want to add that some credit cards offer purchase protection which covers loss or theft, so if the retailer declines to compensate you, you have that route. With a police report though you shouldn't have a problem since they can use that to file an insurance claim with UPS/FedEx/USPS and recover their money.

I checked with the card, sadly the store own card, the only insurance you have is if they refuse to accept a return.

0 Likes

Really is the best reason to shop with Amazon or B&H, their customer service departments are very good. B&H's is because they're a small business despite being one of the best places to buy electronics, and Amazon never puts up a fight as long as there's proof. Heck, my first 1800X I ordered from them, I got an empty box, someone had removed the 1800X from the box, returned it to Amazon, and they resold it as new. They got the serial number and sent a new one that day.

Sadly there is no real legal recourse you can take for porch piracy, but you can help prevent it in the future. You can have it delivered to a Walgreens or Dollar General (FedEx) or CVS (UPS) for you to pickup later that day, which is usually the least inconvenient option, and it's free.

How did you prove to Amazon you receive an empty processor box?

I found out that, legally (USA), if a Retailer's package is delivered and left at your doorstep and it is stolen, The Retailer is not responsible nor is the delivery company. Since they actually "Delivered" the package and left it at your home residence. As long as they followed the Customer's or Retailer's delivery instructions.

So Newegg really didn't need to refund my money since they did everything by the books. It wasn't Neweggs, UPS or the Postal Service fault if someone stole my package after being delivered. But either Newegg or UPS or the Postal Service wrote as delivery instructions to leave the package at my door if no one is home. I never gave those instructions and mentioned that to Newegg. I also mentioned that Newegg sent me the merchandise in a package plainly advertising it was from Newegg. So a thief who knows about online Retailers knew that package contained something electronic or for a computer.

But, at least, everything came out in a positive note and will always be a Newegg Customer for refunding my money.

Now I give instructions that if no one answers my Condo Door to take the Delivered package back to the Post office or Delivery's Office for me to pick up later.

As you mentioned, Amazon now has designated Local Pickup Lockers where you physically go to the designated Store or Office to pick up your Amazon package.

0 Likes

The customer service rep transferred me to someone higher and I gave them the serial number on the box. Best I can figure is that in the warehouse items being scanned as they are picked also have the serial number barcodes scanned for tracking purposes so they were able to see the same serial number was sold to two people and shouldn't have been put back into the retail channel. It makes sense as they are supposed to do this anyway in case there is a recall they can notify the affected people.

Also, Amazon has partnered with at least one business in most every town and city and installed pickup lockers where you can have your package delivered to. You get a secure place to pickup your package, and they get foot traffic which may then patronize them.

Them being responsible comes down to whether or not they offer or require delivery confirmation such as your signature. If they don't offer it, they are responsible. If they do but give you another option and you choose to not require it, then it's on you. 

0 Likes

That is why I mentioned as long as the Delivery company follows the Customer's or Retailer's delivery instructions.

elstaci wrote:

That is why I mentioned as long as the Delivery company follows the Customer's or Retailer's delivery instructions.

Recently in many buildings the postal service is installing secure lock boxes. The key is placed in the mail box and the consumer can then get the item and then stuff the key though the slot for the postal worker to use when needed again.

Other delivery operations are slowly adopting what the postal service has but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the postal service moves.

0 Likes

I've seen a couple videos now where the delivery guys take a picture of the package they left as proof. Then a camera on the house or another's home catches them then taking the package themselves. 

pokester wrote:

I've seen a couple videos now where the delivery guys take a picture of the package they left as proof. Then a camera on the house or another's home catches them then taking the package themselves. 

so far no arrests, cnbc has posted a few pieces on the problem to call more attention to the problem

0 Likes

100% this, I am trying to get this from the retailer, but since they are big, they are effectively doing nothing to help at this time.

0 Likes

If you don't mind, who is the Retailer?

0 Likes

Amazon

Black_Zion could probably advice you on how to get Amazon Customer Service to help you get your refund since he has experience in dealing with them in the past.

0 Likes

File the report with the police, you don't need the serial number just describe what was in it, the tracking number, and the carrier, take a picture of the report or scan it, and talk with Amazon customer service. You may have to go up to the supervisor level.

might be wise to consider a secure droop box where couriers can leave packages but thieves cannot get at

if i ever caught one, may the lord mercy on their soul

0 Likes