I have a new Ryzen 9 3900X desktop build that has been extremely unstable, exhibiting numerous crashes, BSoDs, and subsequent refusals to boot Windows. Info and minidumps are below.
I'd be very interested if other people using similar hardware have had similar problems, or if any super-sleuths can look at the attachments and point me in the direction of a fix. The oddest thing about my problem seems to be its correlation with lightly-loaded operation; the system runs seemingly quite well under moderate to heavy CPU / GPU loads or CPU alone, but is really unhappy with unloaded operation.
- The PC will run fine IF the CPU is heavily loaded. My usual workload on this machine in its short and tumultuous life has involved parallel radiation transport simulations that run for a week or so and keep the processor running at ~90% load with 24 threads. It just runs and the CPU temps hover near 73 deg. C. HOWEVER: if the machine is unloaded, it is highly liable to throw display driver resets and BSoDs.
- This build really seems to hate AMD graphics cards, throwing regular GPU driver restart errors with both the R9 390X (a fairly old card) and an RX 5700 (new) using the most recent graphics drivers from AMD. A frequent occurrence are LiveKernelEvent errors referencing LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys and LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys.
- Runs Furmark without problems so far. Again, the machine is most error-prone when it is just idling!
- Currently running with the memory D.O.C.P. profile enabled, but it's hard to tell if this makes any difference in the bad behavior (have tried with this on and off).
- Memtest runs 4+ passes with 0 errors on the currently installed DIMMs
- I have swapped the OS SSD with another of the same model and this did not fix the issue
- No history of overclocking (with exception of D.O.C.P.)
System information (more is available in attached screenshot from HWiNFO):
- Win10 Pro 64bit version 2004 / OEM
- All-new hardware (May 2020)
- Win10 has been reinstalled multiple times after file corruption and boot failures
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X; most recent AMD chipset drivers are installed.
- GPU: I have tried two AMD video cards with similar instabilities, current installed is Radeon R9 390X, have also used Radeon RX 5700; drivers are Radeon Adrenalin 20.5.1
- Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
- BIOS: 1407 (shipped with 1405, I flashed 1407)
- Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
- Primary storage (with OS): 1TB SSD, WD Black SN750 NVMe
- Secondary storage: Seagate IronWolf 8 TB
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850X
Thanks for any assistance!