cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

casama9000
Adept I

Hp Envy x360 2500u 13" issue when downloading Adrenalin 20.4.2, causes laptop to freeze upon reboot

I have the Hp ENVY x360 13inch ryzen 5 2500u. A few weeks ago, on windows 10 1909, I downloaded AMD adrenalin version 20.4.2 which was the recommended driver. The optional driver was 20.5.1 which at the time was not yet certified. I was able to succesfully download 20.4.2 and had it running perfectly.

A few weeks later I upgraded to windows 10 2004, which automatically downgraded the adrenalin down to 2019 version (i think it's due to compatibility issues, 20.5.1 has W10 2004 support). I still tried downloading 20.4.2 but it failed with error 1603. I wasn't comfortable with trying 20.5.1 at that point (wasn't widely tested yet) so I rolled back to W10 1909.

I decided to redownload 20.4.2 (still on w10 1909) because it told me it was the "recommended version" but encountered error 1604 at 99%!!!! I used AMD cleanup utility and tried again which finished the installation all the way, but upon rebooting the laptop I got the freeze problem which has previously been mentioned before by others with the same laptop- touchpad, touchscreen, keyboard, even external mouse all frozen after about 10-15 seconds signing in. I quickly started the cleanup utility again, uninstalled it, freezing was gone, so I knew 20.4.2 somehow isn't properly compatible anymore, which is strange because I had it running fine a few weeks ago- was there a new 20.4.2 patch? Even ticking the factory reset button resulted in the same issue. Anyhow, after using the clean up utility again, I gave 20.5.1 a go (which was now microsoft certified) and to my suprise after the reboot it's running fine and stable.

I'd like to ask why this has happened, does being on W10 2004 at one point have anything to do with this? Why is 20.4.2 a few weeks later causing this compatbility issue, wheareas 20.5.1 is running fine? I'm new to AMD pc's, is it normal to work out which driver runs stable for your system? And because i'm sucessfully running on 20.5.1 stable, should I not worry that something like this will happen in the future?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies
casama9000
Adept I

Despite 20.5.1 running stable on my laptop, I decided to give up on these latest updates out of fear something like this would happen again in the future. Reset my pc wasn't enough to start fresh again because I couldn't open the radeon settings (catalyst control)- I believe it was due to the amd clean up utility deleting the registry of previous AMD drivers and software. I factory reset my PC using the OEM usb media (hp cloud recovery), and have left everything to windows update, adrenalin 19.1 is the latest driver. It's a shame I can't update my Vega 8 without having to worry about freezing, BSOD's and boot loops, despite 2500u being supported by AMD.

0 Likes

what is your HP laptop exact Model or post the Serial Number if possible.

0 Likes

hp envy x360 ryzen 5 2500u ag0xxx

0 Likes
hnythecln
Journeyman III

i have same laptop, upgraded to 2004, can use any drivers but provided by HP - 1909 doesn't work on 2004, doesn't install...

can install any adrenaline or windows, works fine, but when using FB or YouTube in Chrome - CPU drops to 0.38 GHz... unless i bring up HP command center - it resets the driver and keeps it running... drivers are not working correctly on 2004... hoping they'd fix it  or i have to lose chrome? interesting choice...

0 Likes

I had the same situation. 20.4.2 wouldn't install on W10 2004, then also wouldn't when I rolled back to 1909. When I got adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 running I seemed to get better performance, because of the new features like anti input lag. But honestly it's not worth the instability and stress I would just remain on the hp drivers even if they're older. At least I can feel confident my laptop won't do something funny 

0 Likes