cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nongeshipman
Journeyman III

Radeon HD 8400 freezing after Win10 v2004

I'm using an HP 15 laptop, with AMD A6 5200 with Radeon HD 8400 / r3 graphics, 8gig ram.

I recently did a full new install of Windows 10 64 bit,after replacing a bad hard drive, and everything has been working great since. 

2 days ago, Windows updated from version 1909 to version 2004, and now I get constant system freeze. Mouse will move, then freeze, then jump, then freeze. Videos freeze up during playback. Even the windows loading screen, with the little spinning circle freezes up.

Of course the first thing I did was go to AMD and made sure I had the latest drivers, which I did, so I decided to use the removal tool, and do a clean install (just to be sure). As soon as I uninstalled the driver, the freezing stopped, and everything worked fine. So I did the clean install, and the freezing started again.

I've got them uninstalled now, in order to be able to send in this ticket, but I have programs that I was working with before the update that I can't use due to not meeting specs without those drivers installed, but with the drivers installed, everything runs slow and glitches badly. 

Not sure what Windows did that the driver is suddenly not working correctly, but it is quite annoying and I would love to know if there is a fix, work around, or a coming driver update.

I realize this is an older machine, but still works beautifully for everything I've thrown at it, including some older games that a few years ago would have taxed a lesser system.

Any suggestions would be awesome,

Thanks,

Nonge

0 Likes
6 Replies
Kiritoxe
Journeyman III

If you search this up, sadly it is that that graphics card is not supported with Windows 10 anymore. I am also facing this issue:(

0 Likes

I'm doing maintenance on my old relatives laptops and have this exact same issue. have you found any workaround yet other than loading up the basic display driver?

0 Likes
atifirshad
Journeyman III

bro my laptop have issue but i solved it after 2 days working
https://www.driverscape.com/download/amd-radeon-hd-8400---r3-series
you can download driver from here.
and install window 10 2004 version
for more contact me 0092304-4966428

@atifirshad wrote:

bro my laptop have issue but i solved it after 2 days working
https://www.driverscape.com/download/amd-radeon-hd-8400---r3-series
you can download driver from here.
and install window 10 2004 version
for more contact me 0092304-4966428

I am not a fan of these driver download sites as their scan utilities often lead to malware on the system you are trying to fix.

A great reputable site that you can just download the original drivers from AMD or Nvidia is GURU3D.COM. They have old drivers going back for years and don't make your run driver update utilities to get them. 

0 Likes

Made an account to send props to you my man. That is exactly the driver needed to solve this. In my case it was a crappy AIO from HP which refused to work nicely with any later driver for R4 graphics chip (whether it be from HP's website, or direct from AMD). 4 drivers in and the only one that stopped the stuttering was the version on driverscrape.

For anyone nervous of downloading from there after poke said they're not a fan - driverscrape is a very well established and trusted download source, and I use them all the time.

I simply extracted the drivers, and manually updated the GPU via device manager. Sorted.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

It is more likely the new drivers are the issues more so than the new Windows. I would try to load an older driver. I would start with the last one offered by your laptop maker. If that doesn't work I would suggest one from 2019 and those drivers are still hosted on GURU3D.COM.  Before installing those make sure to run DDU from wagnardsoft.com to start clean. You run that from safe mode with the internet disabled. Make sure to leave the internet off when installing the driver too. It keeps Windows update from corrupting the install. 

0 Likes