Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

goodshadow
Adept I

integrated graphics

hey

I have a big problem. My laptop has 2 integrated graphics cards. One is the AMD RADEON R5, the processor: AMD A9 9420 APU. The graphics are integrated in it. The memory is 512MB. Then there is the AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M340 with 2 or 4GB. My problem is that my pc always uses the radeon r5 when playing. As soon as I deactivate the radeon r5 no game works anymore or always crashes. The same thing the other way around. I am also 100% sure that I have installed the correct driver.
This text has been translated from German into English.

my laptop to view my specs:

HP Laptop 17-ak0xx

Thank you

14 Replies

What driver are you loading and where did you get it? 

0 Likes

from the amd website

That is your issue then. You don't download a graphics driver for your laptop. You only install the APU driver that matches your APU not the discrete graphics. Everything you need for the discrete graphics to work in conjunction with the APU is included in the APU driver.

You also should always get a laptop driver from the laptops makers site. They are often customized for you laptop. The AMD drivers don't contain any changes a laptops maker may have included to operate on changes they make that vary from reference designs. 

Unfortunately laptop makers often don't keep updating drives for long. So many do turn to the Vanilla AMD drivers with mixed success. 

I would run DDU to return to a clean slate. You can get it at wagnardsoft dot com. Then install the driver from your laptops maker. 

If you need to use the one from AMD as the one from you makers site is outdated and won't run some game for instance get the APU driver from AMD not the GPU driver. 

The correct driver is here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a9-series-apu-for-laptops/7th-gen-a9-94... 

Make sure you set the power profile to "high performance" when gaming. 

All settings for switchable graphics are controlled in Windows Display settings in current build of Windows 10. 

This is a change from Microsoft not AMD. Yes lots of people are complaining they have issues with this. 

thank you for your answer! i´ll test it now.

and i downloaded the drivers for both graphic cards

Hopefully you mean you dowloaded both before. You only install the APU driver to be very clear. 

Good Luck! Hope it works out!

0 Likes

It doesnt work how i wanted. I think i will buy a new pc. My computer is only using the 512MB Graphics chip AMD r5 

Good luck. I would avoid the switchable graphics then and get either a machine with only discrete graphics or if a chip with integrated graphics meets your needs. I truly see a lot of issues with the switchable working at first then not in future drivers for reasons caused by OS support or lack of continued driver support. 

elstaci please know that the information you provided is no longer accurate in current versions of Windows since 1909.

It is controlled in Display Settings by Windows.

This part of their move to this universal driver platform.

They are trying to make windows control things so it is universal no matter what GPU you have.

So far it is going over like a lead balloon. 

That place for switchable graphics isn't even in Radeon Settings in the newer drivers. 
kingfish as usual figured this out before the rest of us and has been giving correct information a long time now.

He had corrected me when I told someone wrong. 

Unfortunately many are having issues but it is a Microsoft problem.

Green team folks are complaining about this too. 

I already told the OP what they had to do above. 

Yes, you are correct about Windows controlling switchable graphics in laptops. When I posted that link I figured it had been updated to show that but it was my error not to have read it to double check whether it had been updated or not.

I remember on several occasions where Kingfish mentioned about Windows and switchable graphics on laptops.

I deleted the reply since it is incorrect.

Thanks by the way. I was going to page Kingfish since he is the one that is familiar about Windows controlling switchable graphics but I realize Users may not like being paged by other Users so I have stopped doing that.

I just mention the User's name without paging. But I do page AMD employee though when it is applicable.

EDIT: AMD should update that AMD webpage to show both Pre-1909 AMD Radeon Settings Switchable Laptop Graphics and Post 1909 Windows Display Switchable Laptop Graphics.

Any User that happens to google or use some other search engine about Switchable Laptop Graphics might be directed to that Out-Dated AMD Webpage and given the wrong information if they are using Windows 1909 and above versions. 

0 Likes

I can't agree more. Not only should the faq page be updated but honestly it should be pinned in the top of the driver and graphics and maybe even processor since it is APU related too. 

This question is asked several times a week for months now. 

You are correct to that unfortunately google has more old info then current.

We still get lots of people looking for info that was given for crimson and earlier drivers too.

AMD needs to do a better job of getting the correct info out as changes evlove.

I am going to mention amdmattray_m‌ to see if maybe they can get something more done about it. 

It is a win win. It helps the users and keeps us from having to answer the same question, over and over.

Thanks elstaci!

I would like to see a separate forum for laptop issues. As mentioned, we get the same basic questions all the time. Laptop issues/answers are lost in the glut of "Drivers and Software" questions. We had a separate Laptop forum with the "old" (pre-Jive) website with 'stickies' that answered most of the question a user had...without having to post a question. Information was easily available.

I concur that would be the best option. Maybe matt or ray can get it done?

So when AMD upgraded and started using JIVE they eliminated the Laptop Forum.

Hope they bring it back. Troubleshooting laptops are more difficult than troubleshooting Desktop, in my opinion, and having a list of Troubleshooting methods already posted at the top of the Laptop Forum should cut down on the amount of similar or same questions asked by Users all the time.