cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tsrstormed
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 shows 2 cores 4 threads when it should have 6 cores 12 threads

Hi, My fairly new processor is showing that it has 2 cores 4 threads in task manager and I am concerned. It has been at this for all I have had it and I can't get it to boot to 6 cores and 12 threads. I have tried Ryzen Master and when I finish downloading it, it never fully installs.

My PC parts:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: RTX 2060 Super

RAM: T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB

POWER SUPPLY: 650 Watt

MOTHERBOARD: B450M GAMING PLUS (MS-7B87)

9 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Download CPU-z and see what it shows.

Also have a look at what's shown in the bios.

jad2020
Adept I

Hi, It may be worth showing an image of the issue to see if any of the settings are incorrect.

Capt313131313ure.JPG

0 Likes

Well that does seem to be a 2 core 3600.

Have a look at the motherboard tab and see what bios version you are running.

And if you haven't already download and install the latest AMD chipset drivers.

0 Likes

1. Type ‘msconfig’ into the Windows Search Box and hit Enter.
  2. Select the Boot tab and then Advanced options.
  3. Check that the number of processors box isn't ticked
0 Likes

I just did that and now I have 4 cores 8 threads. It was an upgrade but I still need to get to 6 cores 12 threads. Any more options?

0 Likes

If your mother board is running the lates bios then you either have a bad board or bad cpu. I would talk to MSi support. They should be able to help you figure out which is the issue. If the board was fine before with an older processor, the likely it is the CPU, but is this is a new build then either could be the issue. You might as well ask AMD about this too: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

You may need to do a fresh windows install, have seen the same thing happen before with some user who have just upgraded from Ryzen 2k to 3k CPUs (same board) without doing a fresh windows install and not keeping windows 10 up to date, it rarely happens but when it does the only solution was a reinstall of Windows10.

Other than that you could try updating to the latest chipset drivers available from AMD and updating your Bios to the latest non Beta version, then after rebooting run Ryzen Master and check if all cores are available and are usable.

0 Likes
ashcatchem
Journeyman III

hey, just had same thing happen today. i needed to download all the motherboard drivers, restart, then worked for me

0 Likes