AnsweredAssumed Answered

3800X - all cores locked to one speed

Question asked by nfg on Jun 4, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2020 by nfg

When I assembled my new system (with an ASRock X570M and 3800X) the CPU performed beautifully, but the fans were loud.  Using A-Tune (the ASRock tool) to adjust the fan curve as well as playing with Windows power mods (Standard, eco, etc).

Somehow in the process I've managed to lock all 8 cores to a single, unchanging speed.    I can force it to change by changing the mode, but it's either locked at 2.2GHz, 2.8GHz, 4.25GHz, etc, with the fan noise and power draw you'd expect at those speeds.  And they don't change under load.  

This happens soon after Windows starts.  The cores are all running independantly and suddenly something grabs hold and slams them all to one speed, and this is... not idea.  I uninstalled Ryzen Master and A-Tune (which I don't understand, TBH, and I've never tried to overclock this) and I've reset the BIOS and reinstalled the AMD chipset drivers, all to no avail.

I would love to have my responsive, adaptive CPU back.  Can anyone offer some tips?

Attached: an image showing what happens to my cores shortly after Windows boots.

Attachments

Outcomes