cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

asdf23451
Adept III

No 20.5.1 or 20.Q2 driver for Windows 7?

I've been having issues where games and the UI appear to be lagging after a while when GPU usage is low on almost every driver for the 5700XT. I've also had crash issues in certain games with 20.4.2, and have been waiting for a fix. So, I'm curious, as to why there's no driver update for 7. Is there some major overhaul that is making AMD skip a update?

40 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Windows 7 update is coming later.

For your other issue you might get more responses from the community if you provided the following information > https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

I didn't post much details about the other issues, as I've reported both to AMD, but I can provide details

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Graphics Card: AMD RX 5700 XT
Memory: Mixed Corsair and OLOy Ram 48GB @3000MHz (Only tested with non-mixed memory against the lagging issue)
Mobo: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon (Tested both 7B78v2D and 7B78v28, but only for lagging issue)

Driver: Latest Radeon Software 20.4.2, and for the lagging issue, anything before that I tested that isn't 19.7.5

Displays: Acer CB271HU 2560 x 1440 (Displayport), Acer G247HL 1920 x 1080 (HDMI)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750w (Not Hive-S) I also tested the NZXT Hale82 v2 700W, but only for the lagging issue

Issue #1: Anything graphically accelerated lags after a while of low GPU usage, games, videos, benchmarks, etc. It doesn't matter if a load like Furmark is applied after the issue happens, it still happens. I've only found two fixes, one is installing 19.7.5, the second is a temporary fix, moving a window makes things smooth again.

The issue is delayed, like the first day or two of use after installing the driver is perfectly fine, the longer the driver is installed, the more likely the issue is to appear.

Issue #2: I've only seen this in two games, but I will do more testing soon, in 7 Days To Die, playing for a bit results in a BSOD, which I can't remember the details of, but I will try 20.4.2 again, and post an image of the BSOD when I get it.

I also get the exact same BSOD when trying to launch an older game, XCOM: Enemy Within, as soon as the game launches and I get to the menu, it BSODs. At the time, I just wanted to play the game, so I didn't do much debugging, and just went back to 20.3.1, as 20.4.1 had an issue with the AMD Settings not opening. (I reported the settings not opening, and it was fixed in 20.4.2)

I fresh installed Windows 7, the only programs I have are WHQL 20.4.2, AMD chipset drivers, Comodo Firewall, Notepad++, Steam, and Waterfox Classic. I don't know if it was a program conflict, improperly installed drivers, or a issue that only happened with the old 20.4.2, but issue 2 appears to be gone.

I do have another issue, UAC prompts lag for a second then appear, and the lag also happens when they close

0 Likes

WHQL 20.4.2 still has the lagging issue, it happened sooner than I expected

0 Likes

Third issue: In quite a few games, 7 Days To Die, GTA V, Minecraft (With shaders), and probably some others, I get random driver crashes, and usually with Minecraft, the crashes BSOD me. I thought this issue would be gone with 20.4.2, but I guess it still happens

0 Likes

Guess what happened right after the driver crash?
Yep, BSOD right when I was loading into GTA V, I took an image of it https://awau.moe/8g6bQ5e

I also got the .dmp file from the BSOD as well, if that'd help with anything https://awau.moe/AL9uj19.dmp

0 Likes

So moving the GPU to another computer helped with the UAC issue, but it's still not instant like without graphics drivers

0 Likes

Today, the UAC issue is back like it was in the past, I now have a lag of a few seconds

0 Likes

Been silent for a while, but I discovered that my GPU most likely has some defective VRAM, and my Ryzen PC is nowhere as stable as my 3770K.

With my my Ryzen PC, the drivers would crash before much happened, and the system would crash with it. With the Intel system, I saw artifacting after a few hours into the game, it took a while for the drivers to crash after that. After they crashed, I had artifacting on the desktop that also looks like artifacting that happens when the VRAM is bad. My guess is that after a while of gaming, a bad VRAM chip gets used, and that causes everything to break.

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

You knew someone would ask,why are you still on Windows 7? 

I built a new system in March 2019 (Ryzen,x470 RX580,then RX5700XT,etc..)and knew That 7 support was going bye bye( Was not a fan of w10) but wanted all the benefits of the new hardware,so went with windows 10 pro,Gotta say,been rock solid and after a 

little getting used to it,I am happy I left 7 behind.

I have had 0 black screens,no blue screens ,no crashes,every driver since has been stable.

0 Likes

I was using Windows 10 2004 for a bit, but got tired of it's look, and the still remaining issues and artificial program blocks that I went back to 7. Only benefits of 10 were minor, and Windows 7 is just better enough for me to still use

0 Likes

Uninstlal  your drivers, boot into safe mode and use the AMDclean uninstall unity, then once back into non safe mode, install and try Try using Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.3 Optional 

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/message/2980259?commentID=2980259#comment-2981133

0 Likes

6 months now and still using windows 7, this is as bad as it was with XP

0 Likes

For someone who use windows 7 and windows 10 for years now, there's nothing wrong with windows 7. In fact, i would have never switch over to windows 10 if, the MS store/games and crack down 3 was able to run on Windows 7. Those are the only reasons why i am using windows 10. but i plan to use windows 7 on my secondary rig once i build it.

Windows 7 is perfectly fine. But i do suggest if people do use windows 10, use the enterprise version, i am. less bloatware, less nonsense. Been using the enterprise version for 2-3 years now.

0 Likes

And if you reinstalled Win7:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Visibility: Drivers & Software1020465 Views
Last modified on Aug 7, 2017 9:37 AM

I've noticed I get less general BSODs on like every computer, the less I update. I don't much care for security updates, as it's useless. All that is really needed is a up to date browser. I've also noticed speed boosts with less updates, significant with Intel systems, minor speed increase with my AMD system.

I will try fully updating, but I don't know how stable my system will be, and I won't use the telemetry infested monthly roll-ups, I'll just use the security only updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog

0 Likes

Thats a bad idea. Security isn't the problem...netframework, CCC+, and most of the updates are.

0 Likes

I've been running Win7 with all updates (not language packs and symbols for the ruble) no problems. Do what you wish, but when all else fails...update Win7.

0 Likes

So, I'm now fully up to date, and I still have the lagging issue, and the UAC lag issue. Still need to test if games crash the driver.

There's also something I noticed, the UI when there's no graphics driver, is super smooth. With the GPU driver, it's still pretty smooth, but it just feels better going back to the UI without a driver

Edit: I also uninstalled the driver and ran DDU before doing updates

0 Likes

I never was able to fathom the desire to use obsolete operating systems. This is as bad as governments and some larger corporations still using COBOL on a mainframe. The recent social upheaval sure showed the folly of the dinosaur solution.

Modern solutions can use swarms of servers and load balance them as needed. Even IBM has been offering Linux on the z systems now for several years. IBM bought Red Hat which got them a big foot into cloud services.

IBM agrees with me that the old zOS which it did its job, it cannot compete with a row of high density blade servers.

0 Likes
asdf23451
Adept III

New driver, 20.Q2.1

Windows 10 only though

(Why did it take me so long to see that I said 20.Q1 and not 20.Q2?)

asdf23451
Adept III

Got my card back from the RMA
Haven't had enough time to test to see if the artifacting issues were fixed. It seems that the lag for a few seconds after logging in still exists, and the UAC prompt lag still exists too

0 Likes

Tried 19.12.3 without installing AMD settings, looks like the startup lag and the UAC lag are gone.

0 Likes

20.4.2 without AMD Settings still has the UAC lag, will download and try 20.4.1

0 Likes

asdf23451 wrote:

20.4.2 without AMD Settings still has the UAC lag, will download and try 20.4.1

with enough RAM, windows 10 x64 is comparatively lag free for games

I am using 32GB right now which seems to be enough.

0 Likes

It's a driver issue, 19.12.3 doesn't have it, and I know for certain it's not a RAM issue

0 Likes

20.2.1 is the newest version that I can run that doesn't have the issue

0 Likes

20.2.1 Is the best driver since 19.Q4.1, Fixes all my problems, no more slow down using performance overlay, fixed all my game crashing issues, they even added the new AMD GUI control panel, good drivers indeed. 

0 Likes

I've recently reported the issues to AMD, so hopefully in 20.7.1, or whatever it ends up being, will have the issues fixed.

0 Likes

Probably because of how late I was, UAC lag still exists

0 Likes

Question, what is UAC lag? 

0 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/247458403746709505/728372430115963040/video0.mov

It should almost instantly open and almost instantly close

0 Likes

Can you roll back to a driver that this problem doesn't show up?

That;s the most weirdest bug i ever seen, reading around other people have it using nvidia too, but i never seen that bug in all my days of using gpus.

I'm using windows 10 enterprise, but when using windows 7 never had that issue either. weird.

0 Likes

I could roll back to 20.2.1, but I get better performance in a game I've recently been playing with the newer driver, so I just want to keep on using 20.7.1

I haven't tested 20.7.1, really haven't heard anyone say the performance is better than 20.5.1, also waiting for GPU hardware thing to show up for my GPU 570 before i install another driver. 

0 Likes

Looks like I'll go back to 20.2.1 and record a UAC prompt with no lag. My Windows install broke, so I need to reinstall it.

0 Likes
asdf23451
Adept III

20.Q3 released, and still Windows 10 only

I also see that AMD removed the 20.Q4 is coming thing from the Windows 7 category

0 Likes

Seems like the last windows 7 driver is 20.Q1.1.

I'm using 20.Q3 now, good drivers, faster than the previous version, but im using windows 10. 

0 Likes