cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft Puts Windows 10 May 2020 Update on Hold for Most Devices

"Currently, Microsoft’s latest May 2020 update is on hold for most devices as the company works to resolve a raft of issues."

Microsoft used to release new versions of Windows like clockwork every couple of years, but we’ve been on Windows 10 for quite a while now. The company has instead released free feature updates for the operating system once or twice per year. Although, rolling those updates out can be perilous. Currently, Microsoft’s latest May 2020 update is on hold for most devices as the company works to resolve a raft of issues.

The May 2020 update began hitting computers last week, but almost all the updated devices are from Microsoft’s own Surface lineup. Although, many Surface models are still waiting like those of us with other Windows-powered hardware. Since the initial rollout, Microsoft has discovered 11 major issues (as of this posting), and 10 of them are still under investigation. Some of the more vexing issues include a stop error when connecting or disconnecting a Thunderbolt dock, no mouse input in select games, and the inability to connect more than one Bluetooth device. 

If your computer doesn’t have the update already, it’s likely that Microsoft has blocked it while it does more testing. The company even added a prominent warning in Windows Update over the weekend. If you’re on the previous version looking to get the May 2020 Update (Build 2004), Windows Update will remind you that your device “isn’t quite ready for it.” 

Devices blocked from getting the update will show this warning in Windows Update.

Microsoft will increase installations over time as it mitigates the issues present in the new update. Most users should hang back and wait for the official rollout. However, if you want to live on the wild side and install a Windows update before Microsoft thinks you’re ready, you can do so with the Windows Update Assistant. This tool will force the latest update regardless of your system status. You should only do this if you’re willing to deal with the potential issues listed on Microsoft’s status page

Once you get the update, Windows 10 will have a revamped Cortana interface, faster Windows search, and even a new Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) with a real Linux kernel. If you’ve got an Android phone, the enhanced Your Phone app in the new update will support call/text integration, file management, and notifications on the PC.

3 Replies

The ISO is fine for a clean install where upgrades can be problematic.

I am waiting on a new larger SSD so I am ready for yet another fresh install of Windows 10

0 Likes

Deleted all my replies since I made my point and it was basically off topic.

elstaci wrote:

Deleted all my replies since I made my point and it was basically off topic.

I tested v 2004 on machines with the putative realtek wifi etc, no problems so I suspect the issues were more likely due to common system corruption which has been a headache for redmond for years

this is why the new driver model which is a new angle to make it easier to mode to ARM or some other machine architecture

now now AMD surfaces with Ryzen and x86 is back on top

0 Likes