Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

knight_h
Adept I

4800H vs 4800U

Hello everyone ! 

I'm going to buy a laptop with a Ryzen 4000 series, however I'm a bit confused with the performances of Ryzen 7 4800H and 4800U. 

I will mainly use the laptop for running computational simulations and sometimes playing some very light games. 

While the U series have low TDP and comes with lightweight laptops, I was expecting H series to have significantly better performances. However in some comparisons I found online, 4800H and 4800U don't have very different benchmarks.

So is there something I'm missing with the benchmarks ? Will the both models behave similarly with time consuming tasks and which model will be more impacted by thermal throttling ? 

Thank you very much in advance ! 

--------------

Here is cpu-monkey results : 

pastedImage_4.png

And Here is cpubenchmark ranks :

pastedImage_1.png

4 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

You have to think of them in terms of broken 4900H's

The 4900H has 8 cores/16 threads and 8 vega. It single core boosts to 4400MHz and all core will hit at least 3300MHz guaranteed. 45W

The 4900HS has 8 cores/16 threads and 8 vega. It single core boosts to 4300MHz and all core will hit at least 3000MHz guaranteed. fully working chip but it just doesn't boost as well. The all core boost drop is enough to account for 10W TDP after all. 35W

The 4800H has 8 cores/16 threads and 7 vega. It single core boosts to 4200MHz and all core will hit at least 2900MHz guaranteed. This is a 4900H with 1 broken vega core. This looks like a great chip on anything with a seperate graphic card. Probably all core boosts better than the 4900HS considering it uses the full 45W might even be able to hit 4900H numbers. 

Not such a great chip for gaming on a laptop or doing gpu work if it's the only graphics.

The 4800U has 8 cores/16 threads and 8 vega. It single core boosts to 4200MHz and all core will hit at least 1800MHz guaranteed. Same cores etc as the 4900H and single core boost is great. Multi core however is terrible, they only guarantee 1800MHz and considering it only uses a 3rd of the power of the 4900H I would assume all core boost is pretty low.

With all 8 vega graphics and the good single core boost it probably great on light long battery life laptops for gaming.

On single threaded tasks the chips will offer similar performance.

On multithreaded threaded tasks 4800H should beat 4800U easily.

Gaming 4800U will win.

Thermals shouldn't really be an issue for either chip but at 15W the 4800U should run a lot cooler.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. It's clearer right now.

The thing is I was expecting also very low multi-core performances with 4800U compared to 4800H. However the Cinebench tests performed by CPU-monkey show "only" 20% less performances with the U model (or maybe 20% is actually high enough). 

More generally I'm wondering about the validity of the tests performed by these benchmarks. 

For example cpu-monkey gives almost the same scores for 4900H and 4900HS at single -and multi core tests while there should be some hundreds of MHz of differences between the 2 CPUs. (Their scores are even closer at multi-core !)  

pastedImage_1.png

These benchmarks aren't 100% consistent, I can run it 3 times in a row and get different results.

They are all in the same general area but they change each time depending on how the CPU managed to boost.

The results will also change with different ram configurations, different voltage limits and temperature.

This can make it really hard comparing the performance of laptop chips since so much depends on the manufacturer.

It's much easier with desktop chips where you can just switch between processors in the same config.

Thank you very fyrel for clearing it up