Latest reply on May 25, 2020 by mrapplebe

What is your parts list?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 4 16GB, 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700xt GAMING OC

Adata SSD SX8200 1TB M.2

Seasonic 650w Gold+

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

I built this PC a month or so ago but didn't have much time to actually run any games on it. Everything went smoothly and I got a perfect experience from day one but whenever I try to run a game, my PC would freeze for a couple of seconds or just simply crash and restart after a couple of minutes into the game. I tried a couple of games so far:

1. World of Warcraft - game runs fine but after a couple of minutes it will freeze for 2-3 seconds and then resize my window (it runs in windowed mode). It sometimes just resets my PC but it happens rarely here.

2. Stellaris - game runs for a couple of minutes, then the image starts to flicker (similar to artifacts produced by a faulty graphic card but not exactly) in the top part of the screen followed by crash an PC restart. Windows Log says Kernel-Power 41. I used Stellaris as my trubleshoot benchmark because this crash is easily reproduced.

3. A couple of other games I tried, the experience was rather random, it would go for some time without any problem but then I usually get a restart if I wait long enough.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

• Prime95 stress test - everything stable

• memtest + windows memory testing tool - everything ok

• Furmark and HeavenBenchmark - no issues

• I also run Prime95+Furmark at the same time to check if PSU can handle this - again, no issues

• temperatures are fine at full load: CPU max 67C, GPU max 71C

• I changed Power profile to High Performance

• I disabled quick boot option in Windows

• I did the sfc scan in Windows

• I did the chkdsk /f /r in Windows

• I reseated my graphics card

• I used two sperate PCI cables to power up the GPU instead of one

• I switched PCIe from auto to 3.0 in BIOS

• I moved GPU to another PCIE slot

• I replaced old DisplayPort cable

• I underclocked GPU by 100mhz both core and memory

• I cleared CMOS

• I have latest BIOS on my MBO, latest drivers for everything else. Also did a clear install of GPU drivers with DDU.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

I'd welcome your input here. I really don't know what's causing the issues here. My main suspect is the GPU but then again, it runs through benchmarks and stress tests like a breeze.

Outcomes