cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

seanmack
Adept I

Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt)

Hello!
Most of you were facing low FPS during non GPU intensive games, stutters, idle GPU clocks during gameplay and other things which you don't want to see your GPU is doing when you play games.
I've found a way to prevent Navi GPUs from downclocking during games no matter how high is GPU load for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt).

I'm using MSI Afterburner for Clocks/Voltages changes but you can use AMD Wattman aswell.
I prefer Afterburner because you can easily switch between saved overclock modes and even set which profile you want to use for 2D and 3D apps.

If you are using Afterburner then save your default profile into any of profile slots (click on save button and then on any profile number).
Now we are ready to lock our GPU frequency.
First of all you need to set constant voltage for all 3 power states (0, 1, 2):
To do this you need to click on Voltage/Frequency curve editor;
Then set voltages for P-States 0 and 1 to be the same as voltage of P-State 2 (you should receive straight voltages line);
Close Voltage/Frequency curve editor and apply changes;
Now we will take care about frequency:
Open Voltage/Frequency curve editor again;
set Frequency for P-State 1 to be lower than Frequency for P-State 2 by 50 MHz;
set Frequency for P-State 0 to be lower than Frequency for P-State 1 by 50 MHz;
You can use 10MHz instead of 50MHz, it will work too, but the difference between P-States should not be lower than 10);
IMPORTANT. Do not set the same frequency for all 3 power states, it will cause PC freeze;
Close Voltage/Frequency curve editor and apply changes.

You can simply switch between default and our custom profiles through MSI Afterburner by clicking on profile which you want to use and Apply changes.

For those preferring to use AMD wattman in Performance settings here's an example of what it would look like.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h80hs035jylfbhz/New Bitmap Image.bmp?dl=0

I run my RX5700xt at 1924 MHz - it still boosts to 2150 MHz but never goes under 1924 MHz now.

Enjoy !

0 Likes
1 Reply