AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon Temperatures on Linux vs Windows

Question asked by billy72 on May 14, 2020
Latest reply on May 27, 2020 by fsadough

Hi all

Looking here for other Radeon / Linux users experiences

My system specs:

- Motherboard ASUS Prime X370-Pro BIOS 5406 Beta (the BIOS version is not relevant, the subject in question happens using any other version)

- GPU's Radeon Pro WX 7100  x 3 (the number of GPUs used is not relevant, the subject in question happens using 1, 2 or 3 GPUs)

- Displays EIZO CS240 x 2 connected on GPU #0 PCIEx16_1 (primary) with 2 standard DP v1.4 cables, current res 1920x1200 x 2.

- OS Ubuntu 18.04.4 HWE Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic (the OS and kernel version is not relevant, the subject in question happens using any other versions and distros)

- Driver Radeon Software for Linux 20.10 (the driver version is not relevant, the subject in question happens using open source and proprietary versions)

- Monitoring Tools lm-sensors v3.4.0-4 and Freon (Gnome Shell Extension)

$ sudo lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12

I use to monitor my GPU's in real time

$ sudo watch -n 0.5  cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info

$ sudo watch -n 0.5  cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/1/amdgpu_pm_info

$ sudo watch -n 0.5  cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/2/amdgpu_pm_info

As you can see 2 x 1920x1200@60Hz identical displays connected on same GPU under Linux forces VRAM to maintain maximum speed to avoid flickering on secondary screen causing high idle temperatures and this not happens under Windows

vs

Have you noticed the same behavior with your Radeon connected to 2 monitors simultaneously under Linux?

If yes please, can you propose me tips and tricks to solve it?

Thanks for read

Outcomes