cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

paulmorphy2003
Journeyman III

RAIDXpert2 legacy disk goes offline

I think the problem is related to this thread but not quite the same: RAIDXpert2 Array 1 Raid Array Critical Error (Offline) after waking from sleep 

I have an Asus Prime X470-Pro with a Ryzen7 2700X CPU bought a year ago. I have a Samsung NVMe SSD for Windows 10 Pro and run the SATA Controller in Raid-Mode. I have a RAID0 of two WD-Black 2TB disks for video editing and a 4TB WD-Black for data listed as legacy array, connected to it. Everything was working fine, until about 2 months ago when I suddenly could not write to the data disk anymore. I tried to save a file but the app just hang. I checked the event log from Windows and it was flooded with Event 153 - An I/O operation was retried. I shut down the system, rebooted and everything was working again. A few weeks later the problem apeared again but after a reboot it was gone once more. I updated the chipset and raid drivers to the current version and got the new RaidXpert2 tool. This did not help. A few weeks later RaidXpert2 reported that the array with the legacy disk had gone offline, which seems to be the cause of it being no longer accessible for Windows. I replaced the disk but it went offline again. I changed the SATA-Cable and the SATA-Port being used, but it did not help. Finally I tought that such a problem could not be caused by software alone and because I had replaced everything else already, I assumed that the mainboard might be faulty. I replaced the board with a new Asus Prime X570-Pro and a Ryzen9 3rd generation while I was at it anyway. I was quite disapointed to get another message that the legacy raid had gone offline on the same day. I can be sure now, that it is not a hardware problem and only the AMD software is to blame somehow.

It roughly matches that the problems began after the 1909 Windows update was installed but I am not 100% sure. I am running 1909 with build 18363.815 now and Raid-Driver Version 9.3.0-00038. This version is from november 2019 so I can only hope an update which fixes this behaviour will be available soon. Unreliable storage is every computer users nightmare and can not be tollerated. I really belive in the superiority of the Ryzen plattform over Intel but if it does not run stable maybe Intel is still the better choice.

After I found the thread mentioned above, stating the problem might be related to the power management I disabled the standby function for harddrives in Windows and will see if this at least helps. Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

0 Likes
1 Reply
paulmorphy2003
Journeyman III

I can now confirm that just a re-scan in Raidxpert2 is enought to fix the arrays after they went offline. Still only the legacy arrays with the single drives are affected. The real Raid0 array works without error. This time the problem occured right after a digital camera mounted as USB-Storage was disconnected from the computer. Maybe this triggered the error in the RAID controller. I really hope there will a fix soon.

0 Likes