Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tgn
Adept II

Overclocking ram question

Okay, so i have a question. 

I have a R9 3900, Asus X570 TUF gaming plus and a 16gb crucial ballistix 3000mhz CL15 ram. I want to OC the ram, but via DOCP it only says 3000mhz as the highest option. Then i saw the "memory frequency" option, must the DOCP speed and memory speed be the same? Or is it possible to choose 3200mhz when the DOCP option is on and is only says 3000?   I used to have a 7700K and a Z270 MSI motherboard, and i used the exact same ram sticks. It XMPd to 3466MHZ easily and was stable... Why can i not do the same DOCP? Ive never dealt with DOCP before... 

0 Likes
1 Solution

DOCP only works up to the rated speed of the module, if you want to go higher you must manually set the speed, timings, and voltage.

That being said, over the years improved AGESA code and Ryzen architecture has allowed much better RAM overclocking. I've been able to increase my G.Skill Flare DDR4-3200 CL14 to 3333 with the same timings. However, it also must be said that also due to those improvements, especially as it pertains to the Infinity Fabric, RAM speed is not absolutely paramount.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

DOCP only works up to the rated speed of the module, if you want to go higher you must manually set the speed, timings, and voltage.

That being said, over the years improved AGESA code and Ryzen architecture has allowed much better RAM overclocking. I've been able to increase my G.Skill Flare DDR4-3200 CL14 to 3333 with the same timings. However, it also must be said that also due to those improvements, especially as it pertains to the Infinity Fabric, RAM speed is not absolutely paramount.

Thank you for finally answering this question... I’ve been wondering that for so long if I have to manually OC or not, but this info says pretty much nowhere...             And yea I know it’s not that huge improvements by getting it OC’d to 3200 or maybe 3466 or some. But I kinda just wanna try, when I know the sticks can do it. I’ve never touched it’s timings... Cause I barely know what it is, is there any calculators or some that exists the can work out what is supposed to say in the timing section? 

0 Likes

There is the Ryzen DRAM Calculator: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/