cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

theamduser2020
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3600 has hit 95c the past few days as peak, does high temps damage zen2?

Just got the ryzen 3600 a few days ago and with the stock cooler its 95c. A third party one is on the way, but delayed due to covid-19. I currently have my PC case opened on the side with a fan blowing air at it to keep temps under 75c. My question is since I let my CPU hit 95c max for a few days...is there a possibility I could have done any damage? I thought CPUs turn the PC off before that could happen, but apparently damage begins after 80c with zen2?

Thank you.

3 Replies
cliff14
Adept I

Hi theamduser2020. 

I wish I had solutions but I'm having the exact same problem.  In waiting for more fans and a tower cooler I resorted to opening my case with a home rated evaporative cooler blowing on it (you know, the ones with the big barrel fans in them).  There is no way I can fit an evaporative cooler in my case and there is no way the tower cooler and fans will do what the evaporative cooler is doing.

Sadly, this is what it took to get my brand new 3600 down to just high norms.  It doesn't give me much hope for the fans and cooler.

The reports that these 3000 series processors run hot are rampant.  But some, like you and I, are showing temps 10-15c higher than even those.  I, like you, am hoping to find some answers here.  The last few forums I've brought this too are still scratching their heads, God bless them.  We've really tried.  

They say that the 3600 is rated to 95c and that the processor isn't damaged by it hitting that.  So, most will say no it isn't damaged (yet).  But I can't see how using a machine that does this constantly won't fry the chip in it's infancy.

Let's hope there's a solution.

Following.

0 Likes

Many have found that when their temps run high with the stock coolers it isn't the cpu but defective coolers. There are a lot of reports of the heat pipes not being flush with the heatsink. 

0 Likes

95c is the max temperature for that processor so yes running it at that temp over time will likely result in a shorter life span. Has something changed with the air flow in you case? Try cleaning your fans. it that does not help you might want to remove your cpu cooler and apply a new layer of good thermal compound. Maybe even upgrade the CPU cooler. I use a 212 evo on my 3600 and it never goes above about 76c under full load. 

0 Likes