cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tired to update R9 200 driver but got Error 1604. Followed all instructions to use clean up app. Tried gaoin same Error 1604. Now Win10 doesn't even list it under display apdator

I was trying to add 2nd monitor plugged into my R9 200 DVI port as well as the DVI port on my PC. I couldn't get it to work in Windows 10 (it 'saw' both monitors but wouldn't detect it). Likewise the Radeon software 'saw' both but wouldn't run it either.

So I went to try and get the latest driver for the R9 200. The autodetect reommended two options and I chose the proven one (Win10  compatable). Got the Error 1604 saying there was software from a previous install. So I used the AMD celanup tool as suggested.

Still no joy, still got the 1604 error.

I went into Windows  to check if I could 'see' the device as a display adaptor but it was gone replaced by a Genreic device.

Part of the reason I knew the devise was  there was becasue I want to know which orf the 200 series it was but that was all it said R9 200.

AMD do not appear to have anyhting to offer apart from the automatic Adrenalin 2020 option which doesnt work for me.

So basiially HELP!

0 Likes
1 Solution

As Kingfish mentioned it would be helpful to know your System Specs. You can download a free program called SPECCY to tell you most of the Make & Model hardware you have installed.

Follow this basic method of installing /uninstalling AMD driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

View solution in original post

5 Replies

As Kingfish mentioned it would be helpful to know your System Specs. You can download a free program called SPECCY to tell you most of the Make & Model hardware you have installed.

Follow this basic method of installing /uninstalling AMD driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

In reply to kingfisher

• AMD card
    • AMD R9 285
  • Desktop or Laptop
    • Desktop
  • Operating system
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    • 10.0.18363 Build 18363
  • Driver Version Installed
    • Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (after using AMD Cleanup Utility)
  • Display Devices
    • 1 No. ASUS VE247H 1920 x 1080 @64Hz  DVI-D
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H97M-E (SOCKET 1150)
    • Amercian Megatrends Inc. 2016 11/07/2014
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz, 40001 MHz, 4 Core(s) 8 Logical Processors
  • Power Supply Unit
    • SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Gold Plus"
  • RAM
    • 8GB

Background:

• When trying to run a 2nd monitor (exactly same model as the existing)
  • Windows showed 2 monitor setup but couldn't detect the 2nd monitor
  • Radeon mode (to share desktop across multiple screens) again could detect 2 monitors but wouldn't diaply anyhting on 2nd monitor.
  • So I decided to upgrade the Radeon driver
  • Went to AMD site and used the autodetect driver option
  • It offered 2 choices of driver 20.2 being Microsoft approved (older version) and a newer version 20.4 being optimal
  • I chose the MS version as I assumed it might be required
  • During install it came up with an Error 1604
  • Went back to site and ran the AMD Cleanup Utiltiy as advised.
  • System rebooted in safe mode
  • It cleaned up
  • Rebooted
  • Ran autodetect driver again
  • Same Error 1604
  • I tried it again only this time choosing the newer driver version 20.4
  • Same thing happened again Error 1604
  • Finally I went into Windows to rollback the updates in the Display options but by then the Radeon driver had gone leaving the generic MS driver shown above.

So the issue is:

I would like to get a working version back of the AMD driver for my graphics card

The newer drivers have been problematic to some. I use, and recommend, version 19.12.1...it is stable and works great. With that installed, you can update the Drivers Only from the newer graphics driver. ..although it is really not needed with you graphics card. I would also use DDU instead of the AMD uninstaller ..use in safe mode. Using DDU 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-seri... 

0 Likes

Hi everyone,

In the end I deleted the C:/AMD folder completely without disconnecting from the iterent and then let the autodetect installer do its thing and went for the stable setting. Now running Radeon Software 20.2.2  Released 28/02/2020. Problem solved. Thanks for the help everyone.

0 Likes