Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

burakeser
Journeyman III

RX 5500 Black Screen(Screen No Signal) Driver Problems

Hello to everyone,

I bought MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT GAMING X 8GB graphics card 1 day ago.

When I install the updated graphics driver, the Screen loses signal. The screen turns black.

I am sure that I have not power supply or other hardware problems.

Sometimes I do not have a problem for 2 hours or at certain time intervals. The screen loses signal in an untimely manner.

The screen loses signal even when the system is idle.

What exactly is the problem?

I saw many friends who had the same problem.
I tried all the methods offered for the solution.

But the problem persists.

I have been an AMD user for years, I have never had such a problem.

The situation I encountered really upset me.

I am tired of seeing a black screen all the time. Resetting the computer is also not a solution. I start the operating system in safe mode and delete the graphics driver.

And I am constantly installing other versions with the hope of a permanent solution. I have been almost exhausted from dealing with this situation for 30 hours.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

• AMD Graphics Card
    • MSI rx 5500 xt gaming x 8gb 128bit
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop (Personalized Hardware ASUS)
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10  Pro 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • I have tried all driver versions.
  • Display Devices
    • Samsung SyncMaster S23B550 1920X1080 @60HZ 2*HDMI, D-SUB (I use HDMI Cable)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASUS M5A99X EVO BIOS 1708
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD FX 8150 Zambezi
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • RAMPAGE ETX-750-1 750W 80 Plus Gold PFC 12cm Fan Gaming Power Supply
  • RAM
    • GSkill 2133 mhz 16GB (4X4)

• When I install the video card driver, the card stops signaling the monitor.
  • Sometimes it works without problems like 1 hour.When I turn off and turn on the computer, it goes again.
  • When I install and try the Windows 7 operating system, the signal goes off to the monitor, it comes back when I unplug the cable and then the monitor card does not give a signal again.
14 Replies
madbill
Adept II

Just take your money back,and buy nvidia,only solution for now!I'm so sick and tired from black screen problem(5700xt nitro)

nordvargr
Adept III

Switch to NVIDIA is the only permanent solution to black screens.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you provide more information about your system configuration?

https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

0 Likes

• AMD Graphics Card
    • MSI rx 5500 xt gaming x 8gb 128bit
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop (Personalized Hardware ASUS)
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10  Pro 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • I have tried all driver versions.
  • Display Devices
    • Samsung SyncMaster S23B550 1920X1080 @60HZ 2*HDMI, D-SUB (I use HDMI Cable)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASUS M5A99X EVO BIOS 1708
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD FX 8150 Zambezi
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • RAMPAGE ETX-750-1 750W 80 Plus Gold PFC 12cm Fan Gaming Power Supply
  • RAM
    • GSkill 2133 mhz 16GB (4X4)

Describe your issue:

• When I install the video card driver, the card stops signaling the monitor.
  • Sometimes it works without problems like 1 hour.When I turn off and turn on the computer, it goes again.
  • When I install and try the Windows 7 operating system, the signal goes off to the monitor, it comes back when I unplug the cable and then the monitor card does not give a signal again.
0 Likes
nelegal7
Adept I

Just return the video card to the store and buy Nvidia. I'm also tired of waiting for normal drivers. It’s been 5 months since I can’t start my video card. 

MSI 5500XT MECH 4GB 128bit

mickeekung
Challenger

Please see my thread. It may help. https://community.amd.com/thread/253578 

0 Likes
bowbaggins
Journeyman III

Bought a 5500xt 8G and it black screens on games. My build is a 3900X, x570, 32 gigs DDR4. Tried different drivers, new load of w10 pro, different monitors, no RGB, and different cords and still it black screens and crashes the OS. Not overclocked all stock settings.  What gives? I had to order a RX590 today because I built another 3900x X570 with the RX590 Fatboy and it runs fine. The 5500xt doesn't run right or something wrong with the software. I'm a computer tech of 20 years and this one has me stumped. Please fix the 5500XT black screen issue!

0 Likes
amrutkowski
Journeyman III

I had similar experiences.  Tried everything possible over 8 weeks.  Even moved the card to another machine with a similar build with the same experience.  Finally used an older NVIDIA card and everything worked well.  The 5500xt card only worked with the default Microsoft drivers.  Tried interacting with both Gigabyte and AMD troubleshooting - which was worthless.  They know they have a problem, but seem reluctant to do anything because it is fraud and they are culpable.  In the meantime, any prospective buyers should stick with NVIDIA cards.  AMD/Radeon plainly are incompetent.

0 Likes
amano74
Journeyman III

hello,

i bought a new Msi rx 5500xt mech oc 4gb today,

tried to install it on intel system "win10 x64 v2004" (i5 7600+b250m+8gb ddr4),

same problem, black screen at driver install,

tried several times with different driver versions,( 20.5.1 , 20.8.2, factory settings, DDU)

nothing worked, so i tried a fresh new windows 10 install (v2004),

updated all windows 10 first, & installed the graphic driver after that

& guess what : i was able to install the 20.8.2 driver version without any problems.

for all those who encounter problems with driver installation, try a fresh new windows install!

0 Likes

I also did a fresh win 10 x64 v2004 install without success.  My system (ironically) was Ryzen 9 3900X, Prime X570-Pro, 16 G Dominator, 970 Pro SSD, Corsair RM750X supply.

0 Likes
Cjstarter
Journeyman III

Hey All, 

I'm looking for some advice. I bought this graphics card for a new build system, but appear to have the black screen problem. I have yet to install windows on the system, is there a way to fix it before i send back the graphics card? 

Thanks all,

Chris

0 Likes
Smitch2502
Journeyman III

For anyone in trouble I have the same problem, 

I have employed a Display Port (Male) to Hdmi (Female ) aprox $7.   So now I am running  2 Display ports.    The Display Port 1 for my 55" LCD.   and 24" LCD  both Set at 1366 768  60 Hz.      Total loss of HDMI is now less frequent but still happens.

No extra speaker cables required, the Display Port to HDMI adapter for most folks will carry Sound.

Note. 

1.    Display Port 2 detects a cable connect even if the monitor is off.

2.    Physically disconnecting Display Port 2 will allow Dpy P 1  (55" LCD) to run lower refresh rates eg 50Hz 30, 29, 20 etc.

3.   The System would prefer you Install Windows via the Display Port.  Physically disconnect HDMI for GPU to boot via Display Port only.

Finally, 

4.   The system run with less crashes again, if I Physically disconnect Display 2,  (24" LCD) and run 55" at 1368 * 768  50Hz (LCD Displays 1920 * 1080 at 50 Hz.   Crashes are much less frequent but still happens,  and when it does, sometimes I must still have to remove and re insert my Display Port connection for a few seconds to restore.   But crashes are much more rare, the system will run for hours at a time, and it will survive a Benchmark Performance Test..

Remember to install via Display Port.   

also, give the GPU a little time after each connection and Crash and wait for an auto recovery.   Sometimes it's a brief 1-2 seconds but can be up to 30-40 before the system restabilisers, from there it should hold stable for quite a while.

0 Kudos

0 Likes

Ps.   Later on I found that 30hz settings were even more stable try  1366 * 768 at 30Hz,   Display (TV) will read either 1366 * 768 30Hz or 1920 * 1080 at 30Hz.    (At this settings I did have a full Windows Screen Displayed -)   

You may try a Display setting of 1920 * 1080 at 30Hz.  I don't know how stable it is, and simply couldn't read Windows Explorer etc.    I know you can enlarge the Font size, but certain apps would not display properly for me.  (my DTV + Ebay Internet tracking Display)   Anyway though, see how you go..   

0 Likes
Smitch2502
Journeyman III

Same problem,  I have employed a Display Port (Male) to Hdmi (Female ) aprox $7.   So now I am running  2 Display ports.    The Display Port 1 for my 55" LCD.   and 24" LCD  both Set at 1366 768  60 Hz.      Total loss of HDMI is now less frequent but still happens.

No extra speaker cables required, the Display Port to HDMI adapter for most folks will carry Sound.

Note. 

1.    Display Port 2 detects a cable connect even if the monitor is off.

2.    Physically disconnecting Display Port 2 will allow Dpy P 1  (55" LCD) to run lower refresh rates eg 50Hz 30, 29, 20 etc.

3.   The System would prefer you Install Windows via the Display Port.  Physically disconnect HDMI for GPU to boot via Display Port only.

Finally, 

4.   The system run with less crashes again, if I Physically disconnect Display 2,  (24" LCD) and run 55" at 1368 * 768  50Hz (LCD Displays 1920 * 1080 at 50 Hz.   Crashes are much less frequent but still happens,  and when it does, sometimes I must still have to remove and re insert my Display Port connection for a few seconds to restore.   But crashes are much more rare, the system will run for hours at a time, and it will survive a Benchmark Performance Test..

Remember to install via Display Port.   

also, give the GPU a little time after each connection and Crash and wait for an auto recovery.   Sometimes it's a brief 1-2 seconds but can be up to 30-40 before the system restabilisers, from there it should hold stable for quite a while.

0 Likes