Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sandgoon
Journeyman III

R9 390: Black / Blank Screen

System Specs:

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB VRAM

CPU: i5-4690k @ 3.50 GHz, Quad Core

RAM: 8 GB @ 2400MHz (I previously had 8 GB @ 1600 MHz)

Storage: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD (windows on my SSD ofc)

Mobo: ASUS Z97-A-USB31

The Problem:

I am getting reoccurring black screens. I can see that my monitor is obviously on and my PC is still running. It's not a complete black screen-- the display is kind of lit, but that might just be my display in general. However, my keyboard stops responding and that WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B GPU reboot doesn't do anything. If I'm in a Discord call, I can hear them for a little bit until the audio just straight up goes TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I usually get these black screens after exiting a fullscreen game, while I'm playing a game, shortly after booting up and logging in, and almost always immediately after logging in and starting up a bunch of programs at once. Even just browsing through file explorer will do this. I have tried running OCCT tests-- they always go to a black screen.

When it start occurring:

I started getting them just about a few days ago. If my memory serves me right, I was running the latest Adrenalin 20.2.2 since that update came out. I was not experiencing any black screen issues at all. About a week ago (?) I installed the new Windows updates. It was not long after that when I started experiencing this issue.

Solutions I have tried:

- A complete fresh install of Windows

- Went into safe mode and DDU'd display drivers. I've DDU'd multiple times to install 20.4.2, 20.2.2, and 19.12.1 independently. Did not work.

- DDU'd drivers and installed 19.12.1. After installing 19.12.1, I went into Device Manager and updated to 20.2.2 from there instead of going through the AMD installer.

- Updated BIOS firmware

- Swapped out my ram, disabled XMP

- Tried to run OCCT tests -- the only test I was able to successfully run for 10 minutes without it going to a black screen was the PSU test. Immediately after the PSU test, I got a black screen.

- Tried turning monitor on/off again during black screen

- Tried unplugging HDMI from monitor and plugging it back in during black screen

- DDU'd with the option to prevent Windows from updating my display drivers to install 20.4.2, 20.2.2, and 19.12.1

I am restless. I am losing my sanity. This is driving me nuts. I ran 19.12.1 when it came out completely fine and now I can't even do that. Makes no sense to me. Is it conflicting with the current Windows build I'm running??

3 Replies
mkhenny
Journeyman III

I have the exact issue, it looks like its pretty common with AMD drivers. My card is a 5500 XT. I have also tried a lot of different solutions, using older drivers, messing with power settings, etc. If there is any possible way to get rid of this issue even if it means going on much older drivers I would really like to, because I often crash less than 30 minutes into playing a game. 

I literally gave up and bought an RTX 2060 KO for $250.

sandgoon wrote:

I literally gave up and bought an RTX 2060 KO for $250.

I guess that solved your problem. I was suspecting your Radeon card which is over 5 years old may have bit the dust.

0 Likes