AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with video playback of 4k 360 H.264 and 5k 180 H.265

Question asked by lakldksjlkjslksajdlkjsd on Apr 26, 2020
Latest reply on Apr 28, 2020 by lakldksjlkjslksajdlkjsd

I'm having issues with playback of 4k 360 H.264 and 5k 180 H.265 Vr video. It seems like my GPU is not being use at all for video hardware acceleration. Here is a link to a imgur

that shows my task manager during playback of a video in Potplayer which shows my cpu at about 90% and my GPU utilization near 6% and no video decoding. When I attempt to play a video there will either be graphical glitches or the video will seems to play fine except it is running at about half speed with the audio playing at normal speed with occasional pauses in the sound. Sometimes the video will play fine except the video will also freeze every once in a while. One strange thing is that If I play back a 4k 180 H.264 vr video my gpu is suddenly being used for hardware acceleration with GPU utilization at about 50% and my CPU at 20% and those video will play fine.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR GTN Z170

CPU: Intel i5 6600K

Memory: 16GB DDR4

GPU: RX480 Sapphire Nitro

VBIOS: 113-2e3470u.o5y

Driver: Radeon Software 20.4.2

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch player
  2. Select 5k 180 H.265 or 4k 360 H.264 Vr video
  3. 1. See either the video slowed down or random freezes
  4. open task manager and see hardware acceleration not being used

Expected Behavior

1. Launch player
  2. Select 5k 180 H.265 or 4k 360 H.264 Vr video
  3. Video plays back fine with no issues and hardware acceleration being used

Actual Behavior:

When I attempt to play a video there will either be graphical glitches or the video will seems to play fine except it is running at about half speed with the audio playing at normal speed with occasional pauses in the sound. Sometimes the video will play fine except the video will also freeze every once in a while.

Additional Information

This link Show someone having the same issue but fixed it by using an old driver.I have tried driver Crimson 17.4.1 and it seems to have semi worked with 4K 360 H.264 except that the video was just showing black. The reason I could tell that hardware acceleration was being used was that in task manager video decoding went up from 0% to about 30%. There are a couple of other people mainly years ago that had the same issue I had with the rx 480 not being used for video decoding like this person or this one and this person and finally this thread.

Outcomes