mrblu

Vega 64 randomly shows no signal, entire PC unresponsive.

Discussion created by mrblu on Apr 27, 2020
Latest reply on May 18, 2020 by haxo

I recently upgraded my older i7-4970k with a Ryzen 7 3700x and the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX. I reused the Thermaltake GX1 700w PSU and my Gigabyte Vega 64 in this build. 

Randomly, the PC crashes to black. It mostly happens during gameplay. I get a no signal error on my monitor, my keyboard/mouse are not powered, and I cannot use the power button on the PC. The fans and RGBs inside the PC are running normally, but I have to manually switch off the PSU and wait a few seconds. When this happens, the MSI EZ Debug LED lights on the motherboard says there's something wrong with the CPU. 

I'm able to reproduce this crash easily by playing The Division 2 on Ultra. If I play the game for more than 30 seconds, it will immediately go black, no HDMI signal, no keyboard/mouse power. If I set it to medium settings, it will work again. 

I've tried downgrading drivers with DDU, I've tried reinstalling windows, I've tried reseating the GPU, I even tried using Wattman to undervolt the GPU, but nothing works. It's a consistent crash in the Division 2 and randomly during other games. 

If I take out the Vega 64 and use my R9 390, it will run perfectly. The computer never crashes to black, even after extensive use. If I play The Division 2 on Ultra, it will just work like normal. 

Does this mean the Vega 64 is broken.... or could it be the PSU? Or is the Ryzen at fault here? 

Outcomes