cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrblu
Journeyman III

Vega 64 randomly shows no signal, entire PC unresponsive.

I recently upgraded my older i7-4970k with a Ryzen 7 3700x and the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX. I reused the Thermaltake GX1 700w PSU and my Gigabyte Vega 64 in this build. 

Randomly, the PC crashes to black. It mostly happens during gameplay. I get a no signal error on my monitor, my keyboard/mouse are not powered, and I cannot use the power button on the PC. The fans and RGBs inside the PC are running normally, but I have to manually switch off the PSU and wait a few seconds. When this happens, the MSI EZ Debug LED lights on the motherboard says there's something wrong with the CPU. 

I'm able to reproduce this crash easily by playing The Division 2 on Ultra. If I play the game for more than 30 seconds, it will immediately go black, no HDMI signal, no keyboard/mouse power. If I set it to medium settings, it will work again. 

I've tried downgrading drivers with DDU, I've tried reinstalling windows, I've tried reseating the GPU, I even tried using Wattman to undervolt the GPU, but nothing works. It's a consistent crash in the Division 2 and randomly during other games. 

If I take out the Vega 64 and use my R9 390, it will run perfectly. The computer never crashes to black, even after extensive use. If I play The Division 2 on Ultra, it will just work like normal. 

Does this mean the Vega 64 is broken.... or could it be the PSU? Or is the Ryzen at fault here? 

0 Likes
4 Replies
noko
Adept III

Seems like you have no issues with everything except when the Vega 64 is installed -> Vega 64 configuration that would seem to be the problem.

Vega 64 do consume a lot of power, if that 700w power supply is a quality one, single 12v rail it should be OK. If multiple 12v rail then you may need to switch the 2 eight pins around on the power supply to ensure you are tapping on two different 12v rails to the GPU. You can easily pull over 400w from a Vega 64 when OCing if you are doing that.

Switching the power supplies would be 2nd choice if it is a single 12v rail, plus upgrading to 850w+ 

0 Likes
mrblu
Journeyman III

I just checked the Gigabyte Vega 64 PSU requirements and it lists a 750w PSU. I have gone ahead and bought a new 850w PSU and will report back to see if that fixes the issue with my Vega 64.

I'm curious, what exactly is happening to the PC when the GPU shuts down like this? When the crash happens, the computer is unresponsive and I am not able to use the power button. I have to manually shut the PSU off and wait for a few seconds. If I were to turn on the PSU instantly, the PC goes back to the same broken state.  

0 Likes

I bought a 750w PSU and now The Division 2 runs great on Ultra. It seems to have fixed it there. I played it for a long time, ran benchmarks, and it ran pretty well without shutting off like it normally would. 

It seems that now Rainbow Six: Siege is the trouble maker. I cannot play a single entire match without the entire computer shutting off. I'm playing at the lowest settings possible and every time it crashes. I've checked the temps and it seems like the Ryzen stays around 75-80C and the Vega 64 is consistent at around 70-85C. I have no idea why this game causes the problem.

I'm out of ideas here. 

0 Likes

total BS ehh.. in my case *vega 56* went crash for a second then back to desktop. but I'm able to play it for a few minute or more based on which game I played. a heavy game like bf5/metro(Low sett) able to run for 5m-+. is vega that hungry of power???

RX 570 seems fine for it.

current PSU : 600w 80+ bronze

0 Likes