Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mariuksk2
Adept I

Knowledge on RAM Overclocking

Hello AMD Community,

Before reading this , please be aware, that my knowledge on RAM isnt great. I have a good foundation of PC knowledge , but when it comes to RAM im just dazzled. I have been searching for this info everywhere and still cant really understand how ram works.

So recently, i've bought myself a AMD ryzen 2700x, B450m Pro 4, and 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3000mhz ram.

The ram that i bought contains XMP setting, that as you already know, lets you change memory settings and overclocks.

I'll cut to the point.

My CPU is Pinnacle based, and in the manual(B450M Pro4) ir says that the maximum frequency of the RAM can be set  on 2933 mhz(Pinnacle Ridge), but overall, the description of the board  says it can be set on 3200mhz or higher. 

When i overclock my RAM or set a profile on 3000mhz the computer stays unstable, on default, Bios automaticaly sets my RAM frequency on 2400mhz.  

My question is :

How does all of this work? Can i overclock it? Is there a specific thing i need to do? Should i always leave it as default?   Hope you understood what i meant to say.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Reply
firef0x
Adept I

Memory overclocking isn't always easy on high memory speeds (trial and error process). You need to modify a couple of settings to get your system stable and it is at your own risk. 

This guide can be very usefull for you: AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide | TechPowerUp